Monday, July 25, 2011

The Crazy Craig Clan heads to the Coast: Lincoln City Family Reunion 2011

Wow, once again, it's been a while. My blogging is kind of on the back burner these days. I'm still here in Utah waiting for my house to sell.  I sound like a broken record.  Oh well.  Forget selling houses and moving to another state (that's just depressing and beyond boring), last week my whole family took time out for our annual family reunion.  We grew up with only 1 first cousin and no real family reunions to attend so I think we all truly delight in the experience now (and hope our kids all appreciate what they've got in this here big family).  My Mom and Dad rented some beach houses for all of us to stay in on the Oregon Coast.  Lincoln City specifically. And if you've never visited this part of the country, put it on your bucket list.  I was amazed by the beauty there and will be sure to visit again.  So instead of taking a ton of space and time writing about this, I made a ton of collages to show you what a good time we had.  But before we get to the nitty gritty details here's a few shots of the whole clan (minus my very missed BIL Brian who couldn't miss school). Here's one normal, and one crazy picture (we have a lot of both in our family :)



Travis and I and the kids made the trip from Utah to Portland in two days.  It was kind of a long drive, but very worth it (and the Oregon stretch of it at least was really pretty).  When we first got there we stayed with my Sister Katie who lives in the Pacific North West and one of our first afternoons there we visited Portland's famed Rose Garden.  It was unbelievably gorgeous.  


Then we headed to the coast to check out the area where we'd spend the next few days.  The first evening we were there everyone wanted to check out the beach.  These were a few snapshots I got that evening. 


These were some of the houses in the neighborhood that we stayed in.  The top middle one, the bottom right and the bottom left were the ones we actually stayed in.  I was dying of coastal cottage cuteness.  Why don't they have any houses like this in New Mexico?


Here are a few random shots of everyone at the house.  We mostly ate and hung out there in the morning and evening but spent the days off seeing the sights or playing at the beach. 


One of our first afternoons we decided to take all the kids to the Aquarium in Newport.  It was really fun to see some of the marine animals up close.  


After the aquarium we headed to Mo's for some world famous clam chowder.  Anyone who truly knows me knows that I detest sea food, but no matter, I relish in all things nautical.  So I enjoyed my grilled cheese sandwich and the ambiance of the bay.  Here are some fun signs along the boardwalk. 


Technically these bottom two signs were not from the bay area, but I liked them anyway and they were from the trip so I added them.  Another afternoon that we were there we headed to the Tilamook Cheese Factory. This place was crazy busy, who knew that cheese making could be so fascinating?   We had fun checking out the factory and filling up on cheese and ice cream. 


My family enjoys reuniting so much that we design t-shirts every year to commemorate the occasion.  Well technically my sister Katie designed the shirt this year.  So when we finally got around to the day we wore the shirts we took a lot of pictures to document.  Here's our very windy beach photo shoot.  If I did my math right we're up to 30 people, I have 6 original siblings, 2 parents, 5 in-laws and 17 grand kids.  And I must say that I quite enjoy all of these beautiful people.  




Then since we were in such a picturesque, beautiful part of the country I made my own little family hold a photo shoot.  They weren't very happy about dressing up and taking time out for this, but lucky for me everyone likes to keep Mom happy so I got my way :)  


If you take enough pictures you'll usually get a few good shots.  These were the best of what we got.  These bottom ones are a little more random.  Trav and I snuck away for a little walk one evening and I made him take a few pics with me, and the bottom left one is of my sisters and my Mom with my sweet niece Jane, and the bottom right is a great shot I got of my Dad when he was taking my family pictures (I turned the camera on him.)


And finally here's my cute Mom and Dad, without them we wouldn't have our family or family reunions to celebrate each other. They celebrated their 39th anniversary 3 days ago, congrats Mom and Dad!  I'm so blessed and lucky to be a part of your family.  Thanks for making all of this possible, Happy Anniversary!

13 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks like a beautiful place and a great reunion. I'm glad you are blogging!

Christie K said...

Nancy,
Our you guys moving to New Mexico? If so what part? Jesse and I (and the kids of course) will be moving to New Mexico in June of the coming year.

Christie Knight

rawenzel said...

Now you've made me homesick! I grew up in Oregon, mostly Eugene, and know all of those places very well. We were just there for a visit earlier this month and our goal now is to try to move back in the next couple of years. Glad you enjoyed your trip to that beautiful area!

Lynsi said...

The northwest is a beautiful place! Glad you had fun with your family. love the matching reunion shirts! beautiful family!

Sarah said...

I'm glad you blogged about this - I've been waiting for Emily to do the same.

LOVE the t-shirts!

veryheatherly said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures Nancy! The family pics on the beach are perfection...even though they were probably annoyed, your kids will treasure those some day. Really great photos!

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Oh how I love the Oregon Coast! And your pictures in the rose garden make me homesick for Portland. Looks like a fabulous reunion. I love the t-shirt design. Matt is in charge of reunion t-shirts for his family so I am bookmarking this for future reference. :)

Dawn said...

What an awesome family trip! I love all the fun pictures of your whole family. I can't believe how much it has grown over the years. Your family pictures turned out great. I'm glad you didn't miss an opportunity like that with such a beautiful backdrop to compliment your cute family. I'm looking forward to seeing you Friday!
xoxo

Ashley said...

What a fun reunion! Glad you could all get together:)

pam said...

You took great pictures1 I love them all. We had a great time. Wish we could do it more often. Glad we had good weather and no mishaps. Glad all were happy and made it home safely.

Sarah said...

I just found your blog and am making your Birthday Cake Cookies for my daughters birthday this week. I was excited when I read this post because I am from the Portland area. We have also stayed in the exact house that you stayed in at Lincoln City! It was a fabulous house. Good times!

Isabel said...

looks like you all had a blast at your reunion! Loved your collages. If you dont mind, where do you get your collages or do you use an online tool??

Jane said...

Hi Nancy!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Lincoln Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane