Monday, June 13, 2011

Curve Balls and Birthdays

Wow.  My posts lately are very few and far between.  But I do have an excuse.  Over the last month my husband has been offered and accepted a job promotion.  We are so excited, and I'm so proud of him!  Only thing is: the job is in New Mexico, Albuquerque.  Yep.  We are moving.  To put it mildly, I'm devastated.

Though we've only been here in Utah for a little over 2 years we love it here, and are happier than we have ever been.  We love our house, we love our neighborhood, we love our neighbors, we love our school, we love our church, but mostly we love being so close to both of our families.  I could keep going and going on about why we love it here (and why this is the perfect place for us) but it just makes me sad to think about it.  We really thought when we moved here that Utah would be our forever home.  But life stepped in, and my forever home is now up for sale.

I've been trying really hard to look on the bright side of this curve ball.  I'm trying to put on a happy face, but to tell you the truth I've probably cried more in the last two months than I have in the last two years.  I'm pretty much mourning this move.  But I know that we can be happy anywhere, and that we can find friends anywhere, so I'm truly hoping that we love Albuquerque.  So if you have anything good to say about New Mexico please, please speak up.  Or if you know of any good neighborhoods that I should be looking for houses in, please leave me a comment.

But for now we're still here and life keeps chugging along.  This last week was my son Dallas' 9th birthday.  I decided not to let the mood of this move put a damper on his birthday.  So we got the family (all of them) together at my In-law's house for a weenie roast over the weekend.  We had such a good time with everyone (that's what makes it so hard to leave this place).

Anyway on to happier thoughts!  In my world birthdays are definitely a time for celebrating, and this sweet boy of mine deserves the happiest of days.


This party wasn't exactly Fancy Nancy, but that might actually be what made it so great.  We gathered everyone together, and I mean everyone.  Black sheep and all.


I snuck in a few shots of my little family before the fun began.

Then when the whole crew showed up it was party time.





I think everyone had a good time, I know I did.  But most importantly I think he did.


Happy Birthday Dallas!

20 comments:

Angela said...

Well Nanc, it's been fun having you guys here, but it'll be fun to have you in NM so we can come visit a fun place! And thanks for having us at the party. It was lovely.

pam said...

Wow! Nobody could have asked for a greater birthday celebration. It was wonderful for all ages and so many people came. We all had fun and hope the birthday boy did too. Happy Birthday Dallas! Thanks for sharing your celebration.

kimber said...

Wow, that's tough! I couldn't imagine moving away from all the family, BUT your SO friendly and personable that you will make great friends where ever you go! Goodluck with the move!! We sure do miss having you here and your fun crazy little parties.

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about your emotional move. I pray that everything works out for you and your family! Looked like everyone had a WONDERFUL time at the party! Looks like a lot of fun!!!

Visiting from http://sassysippycupsandstickysarcasm.blogspot.com/

Megan B ♥ said...

Aw, Nancy, how startling this must have been! You are right that you will definitely make friends wherever you go!

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Congratulations on Travis' promotion and new job! I'm sorry it has to come at the price of moving though. I'm sure you will thrive there, but I know how hard it must be to leave a place you love.

I think my sister-in-law's brother and family lives in Albuquerque (that is hard to spell!). Let me know if you want me to put you in touch.

MommaWard said...

I could almost hear you trying to keep tears at bay as I read your post! It sounds like where you are now fits the very definition of "home". Can I just tell you...through the darkness, know that your problem is one that many would choose over their current circumstances. It seems to me that God chooses how he packages our blessings and leaves it up to us to find our way to realizing the wonders he's working for us... Congratulations to you and your beautiful family and prayers for a smooth and joyful transition!

Anonymous said...

First, is your husband from Kansas City because I am and I love Kansas City!

Second, last year my husband joined the Air Force. He had been going to school for 7 years straight (bachelor's and then law school) and then decided to serve his country and join the Air Force. We have 3 young children (ages 9, 7, and 4 at the time) and had lived around our family in Kansas City for 10 years. I was devastated and thought that life could just not go on without being in my familiar surroundings with all of my family around to help support me. We were told that we were going to be sent to an Air Force Base in Tampa, FL and that was so very far away I just couldn't take it! But having lived here for a year now, I can honestly say that I am SO VERY GLAD that we moved! Our family is closer, we rely on eachother so much more. We have made wonderful friends and seeing that you are a member of the LDS church like I am, you will make a ton of friends really quickly. This has been a hard year but a good one. After we moved my father was diagnosed with kidney cancer and passed away a couple of months ago and it was hard for me to accept being so far away while all of that was going on but at the same time I think it made it easier to cope because of the separation. Please know that there will be a huge room for growth both for you, your children, husband and family because of this move and everything will work out for the best! We will be moving again in a year and I'm looking forward to the adventure. Good luck!

Rebecca Irvine said...

I have lived in Alb. and have visited there frequently since my grandfather lived just south of Alb. I like the north side of town best (Intel area) - a newer area. I am sure you will find many blessings waiting for you there.

Sarah said...

wow! new mexico will be exciting! moving is hard, but you can do it! i bet you will have lots of visitors.

looks like a fabulous party. what a good mom.

Becky said...

Nancy!!! How I love you girl! You are awesome and amazing and I so appreciate your "smiling though your heart is aching". God bless you dear sister! And thanks for being such a good mother (and avid photographer!)

brittanydaw said...

Sad you are leaving, but maybe I'll have to visit NM now! My sister-in-law lives there (in Albequerque)--you'll have to check out Blake's Lotaburger. Let's get together (if you have time) before you leave. Really this time!!!

Ashley said...

I can't believe you are moving! I am sure you will do great there; Wish the job was back in Phoenix though:).

Katharine said...

Nancy you and Travis are going to do great anywhere you go. When James and I lived in the midwest and even here in UT we had no family around and had to really lean on each other. It has been a great blessing in our marriage. Another bonus is that we actually come through Albuquerque every year or so. Maybe we will actually see each other more then we do living in the same state. ha ha! Good luck and let me know if you need any help with the move.

Beth said...

I have not personally seen it but I hear that Alb has a great hot air balloon festival once a year.

You will be missed but I hope you have a great time and love New Mexico.

Sarah S said...

I just emailed your blog post to a friend who moved from Chicago to Albuquerque recently. Her husband works at the national lab there and they seem to really like the area so far. Her name is Ronni, in case she makes a comment on this post or sends you a note!

Sarah S said...

P.S. - Congrats on the job promotion! Sorry that you're moving so soon again but I hope you're able to sell your house quickly and that the move goes well.

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Hey Nancy, I have been bad about getting on the computer at all lately. But I was curious about your curve ball comment...Alb. New Mexico huh. My brother Jason and his wife Cathy live there with their 5 kids. Cathy's parents were mission presidents there so I believe they picked a good neighborhood to live in although it is an older neighborhood. But they know the area pretty well..They have lived there about 7 years. I will have Cathy check out your blog and leave you a post. How soon do you move?

Jacque said...

moving can be so hard, but i'm sure you will quickly adjust and feel like you're home...even in alb!

if you need any tips on where to look there, you can email jaimey. her husband, jim, grew up there and knows all the areas well.

best of luck to you guys!

Tami G. said...

Nance, I'm pretty sure Albequerque is only like 5 or 6 hours from here. Kimber and I have been craving a good party and a little Nancy time. If you throw it, we will come!