Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Swag and Loot

One of the fun things we got when we registered for the Creative Estates Conference was a Swag box.  Inside the box were some fun crafty things for the creative blogger types who would be attending.  For whatever reason when stuff is free (although technically we paid to attend the conference) it's just all that much better.  Here's what we got. There were some fun craft supplies, a headband, a bookmark, a business card holder, some letterpress papers, and a necklace.  I was particularly excited about the necklace.  They were made by The Vintage Pearl, I love her stuff, it's so pretty.


One of the places that my Mom and I had to go to while we were in town was SAS.  SAS is kind of a random store in Phoenix (they have one in Tempe too, that's the one we went to) that sells fabric by the pound, Mill ends, ribbon, and lace.  Now I call this a random store because it's kind of a bargain basement type place.  I've been going to SAS with my Mom my whole life and didn't always appreciate the wonders it beholds.  It's kind of a funny place with swamp coolers and bad lighting (at least that's what I remembered as a kid) where you have to kind of dig through random fabrics and ribbons etc.  As a kid I always heard stories about there being snakes and spiders in the bins under the fabrics so to tell you the truth I was a little afraid of it.  I told this to my kids too in order to add some excitement to our trip.  But sadly, I've yet to see a snake or even a spider in the store.  Mostly a bunch of random crafty people digging through notions and treasures.  Here's my loot from SAS.


Can you tell I have a thing for stripes?  I should be set with ribbons and lace for a little while now.  I got all of this stuff for right around $25.  I don't think I paid more than $0.49 a yard for anything.  I'm excited to attempt some T-shirt re-do's with some of these fun trims and laces.  I'll keep you posted. 

And finally here's my loot from Marshall's.  I love Marshall's.  This is another store I remember going to with my Mom as a kid, and not fully appreciating it.  It's a lot like T.J. Maxx and Home Goods (I think they are all under one parent company).  Anyway they don't have them here in Utah, so my Mom and I drove all over the Valley and I think hit 4 of them while we were in Arizona.  I kept noticing these cute leather things from a company called Baekgaard.  I'd never heard of them before, but did a little research and found out that it's the brother company of Vera Bradley.  Sadly though, the Baekgaard side of the company just recently shut it's doors.  So I'm thinking that's why this stuff was cheap at Marshall's.  I bought these travel accessories because I couldn't resist the turquoise, it's the perfect shade.  


I don't actually even have a Passport, so I probably don't really need a Passport holder so I decided that I'll be turning that into something else.  I'll keep you posted on that one too.  You know me, I've always got projects in mind, now I only need to find the time.  

7 comments:

Toria said...

turn it into a passport holder and come visit me!!!
or let's meet somewhere exciting.

I have to say I'm a bit jealous of your shopping trips mostly for the memories. I too love SAS but probably didn't appreciate it as a kid as much.

Glad you got to enjoy a spring break in AZ!

linqianlan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

I just saw some of those passport holders at, um, yes, Marshall's, yesterday! Yellow, white, blue and hot pink. You should certainly make sure you have four of them to take your whole family overseas!

Ryan and Alicia said...

just the word swag is enough to make anyone happy. so glad you had a good time! ps-love that orange colored head band!

pam said...

Your picture of ribbons and lace from SAS is missing the quater yard of chanbray striped fabric that ended up in my stuff. I'll save it for you. I wore one of my Marshalls' finds to church on Sunday and got complimented on it. Such fun we had!

Holly said...

The CE swag was awesome. I love my cute pen/pencil holder from you too! It makes me smile - the colors and the pattern are fabulous! I need to go back to phoenix to go to that fabric store....I would have skipped part of the conference for that!
Holly
504 Main

ashley in wonderland said...

oh my goodness! i wonder if they have any more? these are soooo cute!