Monday, April 11, 2011

Pen Pouch Tutorial


So if by chance you didn't already receive one of my pen pouches, and would like to make your own, here's the tutorial.  In order to make any of my pouches you will need two coordinating pieces of cotton fabric and one piece of thin quilt binding.  Cut all three of your fabrics to the same size.  I made mine 2 1/2 inches wide by 18 inches long.  But your size will vary depending on the size of your pen or the contents of your pouch.

Once you've cut your fabric, grab your pins and you're ready to start.

First, layer your fabrics on top of each other like so: quilt batting on bottom followed by your two cotton pieces with their right sides together.  Your top piece should have it's wrong side facing up.

Next take your pins and carefully pin these three pieces together.  Take this to your sewing machine and sew around the perimeter of 3 sides leaving the top of your pouch open so you can pull your fabric through.

Once you've sewn the 3 sides you can pull the fabric through like you would turn a sock.  This step is a little difficult with this particular pouch because it is so narrow.  So grab a drumstick or chopstick or pencil (I think there's an actual tool for this, but obviously I don't have it) and push it through.

Once you've pulled your fabrics through take your iron and press down the pouch so it's nice and flat.

Now I measured and folded the bottom of the pouch up about 6 1/2 inches.  This should give you enough space for an average size pen.  But before you sew up your sides you need to sew your ribbon into the inside of the pouch.

I had folded the pouch bottom up about 6 1/2 inches so I placed the ribbon at about 5 inches.  Then pin the ribbon in place and sew it into the pouch (don't forget to back stitch).  Once you've got your ribbon sewn fold the pouch back up and sew along both sides (I don't have a picture of this step-sorry!).  Now I decided that I wanted to straighten out the top of the pouch before I sewed it so I cut about an inch of the top off, folded it into itself, pinned it and sewed it along the top. Now you're done!



That was easy right?  So easy you're ready to make 20 pouches :)


If any of this confuses you leave me a comment or email me and I'll try to help!

I'll be linking up this post to Kim's craft link party.  I had the pleasure of meeting Kim at Creative Estates, she is beautiful and hilarious.  She reminds me of a celebrity or someone I know, but can't quite put my finger on.  Probably because she's just the kind of person that when you meet her you feel like you already know her :)  If you're looking for amazing blogs to read follow Kim at Today's Creative Blog.  

3 comments:

Em said...

These are so cute

Madigan at madiganmade said...

What a simple and sweet gift! Love the fabric you used. These are just darling!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

these are so cute! i love the chevron pattern :)

I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-2-and-features.html