Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Flowers and things


Confession:  I'm kind of an accidental blogger.  No, I didn't accidentally set up this blog.  But basically I'm really quite naive as to how to do it all right.  I just kind of do what I think feels right and hope people respond.  I don't even really know how to read all of my stat counters, or how to interpret the results. Basically if you start talking numbers to me my mind shuts down.  I once dropped a college math class after the first day when the teacher said, "math is the most beautiful language there is."  I figured I couldn't spend a whole semester sitting in someones class who had such a radically different math motto than me. My math motto is more along the lines of, "math is a necessary evil.  Pure, pure evil."  No, not really, but pretty much I don't think in terms of numbers AT ALL.  But one thing I can tell from what draws people to my blog is that everyone likes a good old fashioned fabric flower tutorial.  So I'm thinking of doing a few more of those.  I won't do a tutorial for these rolled flowers because they are just that simple.  But after I saw the cute headband I got from CE I thought I needed to try some of these rolled flowers myself.  I've seen these around quite a bit but never really tried them until I needed something simple to keep me busy at my sister's house.


Here's the low down on these rolled flowers.  I used felt.  I used cheap felt.  I bought a variety pack of felt at Wal-Mart, they had surprisingly good and vibrant colors.  I used a rotary cutter and mat to cut out the felt.  I wouldn't even attempt this with just scissors unless you have a super steady hand.  I cut my fabric length wise 1/2 inch wide.  Then you simply use some good fabric glue, give yourself a whole line of glue and roll (tightly).  These bigger rolls used 2 strips of felt and the smaller used 1.  Anyway they were really fun to make and would make a fun kids craft.

I do have some other fun fabric flower ideas in my head, I just need to get them formed in reality, and then I'll share. These are about the only vibrant flowers around me right now.  Today's high here is 50 something with a forecast of rain.  Here's hoping that April showers bring May flowers!

3 comments:

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I love your blog for the fun stories you tell! I think the best blogs are those that are 'accidental,' and aren't 'commercial!' Those flowers are cute, how easy too!

veryheatherly said...

I totally agree with your opinion of math...just as a general rule I refuse to use it! :-)

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

I love these!!