Monday, April 4, 2011

Busy Day Chocolate Cake

We had a really relaxing weekend watching General Conference.  It's one of our favorite weekends of the year.  The weather was a little bizarre, snow followed by sunshine, followed by snow.  But we enjoyed ourselves all the same.  I made this chocolate cake for dessert after our Sunday roast.  The kids and I gave it "2 thumbs up" so I thought it was worth sharing.

Here's why I like it:  it's easy to make, uses ingredients you already have in your pantry (it doesn't use eggs so it's even Vegan), makes a small enough cake that you're not tempted with left overs, it's surprisingly moist, and it's a great recipe to have in your food storage.

Here's what I don't like about it:  it's not super chocolaty.  For some people this might be a good thing, but I was thinking after I made it that it would be a good cake to put some extra chocolate chips in, or chocolate frosting on.  It has a similar taste to Texas Sheet Cake minus the frosting.  It's really worth a try, and a good recipe to have.

I saw the recipe on my new favorite Cooking Show, Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn (Hallmark Channel).  I recently added her to my DVR and am loving watching her cook.  Her kitchen (set) is gorgeous, and she just seems like the nicest lady, and very down to earth.



Busy Day Chocolate Cake              Lucinda Scala Quinn
Ingredients 



  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 cup cold water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an 8-inch square baking pan, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and coarse salt.
  2. Make a well in center of flour mixture and add vegetable oil, pure vanilla extract, white vinegar, and cold water. Whisk until well combined. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

4 comments:

veryheatherly said...

Sounds delicious!

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

That looks sooo good!

Positive Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracie said...

I tried this cake, and agree it wasn't chocolatey-chocolately, but it totally didn't matter!

Since having weight loss surgery last year, my taste buds are different, some of the things I used to love, are lifeless food shapes now. So, finding new things to eat is my challenge.

I love your site. Feel free to visit me at mine!