Friday, March 11, 2011

A Pen Pouch

When I went to California a few weeks ago to see my pal Oprah, I also got to hang out with one of my best friends from Childhood, Liz.  While I was at Liz's house her sweet little son Christian brought me out an unexpected gift.  Liz's Dad Mike* makes these custom, amazing pens.  He has a lathe where he takes exotic woods, fancy plastics and even animal antlers and creates gorgeous designer pens.  I've admired them before, but have never owned one myself so I was so excited when Liz gave me one.  This is the one she gave me.


Isn't it pretty?  I had never seen any of these plastic ones before, I'd only seen the wood.  I was amazed that he could do the same thing out of a special plastic that he could do with wood.  The pen is heavy, and very substantial.  I thought at first that it looked like it was something by Tory Burch with all of the beautiful gold detail.  Of course in the back of my mind I thought, this pen deserved it's own pouch.  I know, I have weird thoughts.  I can't seem to get pouches off my brain.  So the other night I got some fabric out and went to town making a special pouch for my new pen. 
What do you think? I love it.  

Then the other day when my husband called to ask if I had any ideas of what to get his regional manager for her birthday, of course Mike's Pens came to mind.  So we picked one out for her too.  


And you know I'd never give a gift without putting my own touch on it, so this one got a pouch as well. 


My pen pouch is lined with fleece, but this one for Trav's manager is lined with silk.  

So next time you need a gift for a good friend or your boss consider finding a beautiful pen and making a great pouch for it.  To see my pouch tutorial go here.  

*Mike does his pen business, Phat Pens, old school style (by word of mouth).  He doesn't have a website, but if you're dying to have one of his pens let me know and I'll hook you up with him.  Just send me an email at nancysblondeambitions@gmail.com.

2 comments:

pam said...

Fancy pens and beautiful cases for them! I hope the boss loves her new pen and case as you do yours.

Prachi said...

You have an amazing creativity!! Just love your stuff!