Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nintendo DS Case tutorial (if you can call it that :)

Enough people asked about the DS cases that I made for my kids that I thought I'd give a mini tutorial on them.  You know by now of my love for pouches.  I don't know what it is but ever since I've learned how to make them I want to put everything in a pouch.  It's a slight case of pouch addiction I guess.  You'll see.  You make one pouch and you start seeing the world in pouches.  Then when someone asks you over for a friendly game of cards you'll say,  "oh, I could make a pouch for those."  Okay that was lame.  Here's the instructions.


With any of the pouches/cases that I make you start the same way.  You choose two coordinating fabrics and a piece of quilt batting all cut to the same size.  Place the fabrics right sides together, the batting behind, and then pin in place.  For these DS cases I cut my fabric 20X10 inches.  That might seem a bit big, but I wanted these cases to be tri-fold and fit the kids DS, charger, and games.

Sew around the two sides and one bottom, and then pull the fabric through itself like you're folding socks.


Once you get your pouch pulled through you'll need to play around with it to see where you'll want the folds to be.  There's no exact science with me and my sewing skills, but I folded the bottom part that makes the pouch for the DS up about 4 1/2 inches.  But before you sew this pouch in place you'll need to sew the back piece of Velcro that makes the pouch close.  I don't have a picture of this and learned the hard way that you must do this step before you sew the pouch up.  Otherwise there will be a lot of unpicking and resewing going on which may or may not have been the case at my house.


After you've got your back piece of Velcro in place sew up your bottom pouch about 4 1/2 inches on both sides.

Now you're ready to add the clear vinyl pouch for your DS games.  I bought my clear vinyl at Wal-Mart.  Try to get one of them that is kind of medium weight, not too thin that it will rip, but not too thick that you can't sew through it.  Cut a piece about 8X4 inches and affix a piece of ribbon at the top of your vinyl.  Then you'll want to sew a piece of Velcro on the back.



Now take your case and sew the other part of the Velcro onto the spot where it will need to meet up with your vinyl pouch.  This is very technical, I know.


Once you've got your bottom Velcro in place you can attach your vinyl piece to your pouch.  The vinyl is hard to pin, so I just attached the Velcro pieces to hold it in place and sewed around the sides and bottom.  The Velcro won't fray so you really don't need to have the ribbon on top, I just think it looks cute.


Now you just have to figure out how tall your case needs to be and fold the top pieces into themselves, pin and sew along the top edge.


After you sew the top seam add your final piece of Velcro, and you're done!  That was simple right?  My tutorial was a little uninformative I'm afraid.  But I hope that if you want to make one this gives you a good enough idea of how to do it.  Sometimes I think the pictures explain themselves and my wordy details just confuse people.  So if you have any questions leave a comment or email me.  And sorry, at this point (I guess never say never) I don't sell them.  I love making things like this for my kids or as gifts, but mass producing is not on my agenda these days.  But let me know if you give it a try, I'd love to see yours!




5 comments:

pam said...

Hope your kids are taking good care of their electronic gizmos and games by always putting them back into the cute cases you made for them. I still use a little crocheted case of the sister missionaries made me for my translator.

veronica said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for the tutorial.

Nerd Mama said...

This is adorable! I'd like to link to this tutorial from my blog, if you don't mind. My hubby and I are huge nerds so we still play DS games ourselves. :)

Dave and Mandi said...

You are crazy talented Nancy! I LOVE everything you do!!!!! Also I hope you don't mind I have given almost everyone I know your yellow cake recipe...and of course everyone LOVES it!!!!

Diana said...

Awesome idea for a case! Love it!