Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Easter Wreath Tutorial

Yesterday I guest posted for Kami at No Biggie with this easy, inexpensive Easter wreath.  I thought I'd re-post it here for those of you who missed it.  Enjoy!


I decided to share a fun, easy, and totally inexpensive Easter wreath with you.  I made a Halloween version of this last year, and thought it would be fun to try the same technique for Easter.  So let's get started, here's what you'll need.  A foam wreath form, some crepe paper, and stick pins.  All of these supplies together cost under $5.  I got the wreath at the dollar store, the crepe paper at a craft supply (they also have crepe paper at the dollar store but were out of the color I wanted), and picked up these stick pins at Wal-Mart.  I wanted my wreath form to be a little bit more rounded than it was, so I simply took a steak knife to the inside and outside edges to round it off.  No biggie :)


From there follow these easy steps.


1.  Take your crepe paper fold the top side under, and pin to your wreath form.  

2.  Continue with your crepe paper and wrap it around your entire wreath form. 

3.  Once you've wrapped the entire form, cut off your piece of crepe paper and pin the end to the form. 

4.  Now you'll want to cut LOTS of 4 inch strips of your crepe paper.  When you start to think perhaps you've cut enough, cut more.  I never really counted how many I cut, but you'll want your wreath to look full so you'll need a lot.  

5.  Now take those 4 inch strips, fold them in half, and pin them to your form.  I pinned mine in rows across my wreath form.  The rows were 3-4 strips deep.  

6.  Repeat this process over and over.

7.  And over again until you've covered your entire wreath in crepe paper loops.  If you see areas that look bare simply pin in another loop or two.  

8.  Now you're done, and that was super easy, right?

You could stop there if you want a really simple wreath.  But I wanted to add some more decor to mine. 

This was my first idea.  It's very simple, and very Springish, with a hint of Easter.  


I think the bird's nest is very sweet (and love this version), but decided I wanted more than a hint of Easter.  So I took some bunny stickers (these were also from the dollar store) and spray painted the one I wanted black.

I attached my painted bunny to an oval wood piece that I had painted white.


I love how the sparkle from the glitter still shows through even after I painted the bunny black.  But I thought this little bunny needed a little something more so I took some ribbon and added a ruffle. Here's how I made it.


You take a needle and thread, and thread it through the edge of your ribbon over and over.  While you're threading gently pull the ribbon down so that it begins to ruffle on your thread.  Keep doing this until you've got a good long ruffle, cut it off and thread a knot at the end.  I also burn the edges of my ribbon to keep them from fraying, I love that trick.  Just hold a match to the edge of your ribbon and it will seal the edge for you.

Then I hot glued this ruffled ribbon to the edge of my bunny silhouette.


Now we're almost done.  Find the spot you'd like to put your bunny on your wreath and hot glue it on.


What do you think?  Cute?  I love it.  But I decided that I liked the look of the fabric in my background so much that I should make it permanent.  I simply hot glued the fabric onto the back of a frame, and then hot glued my wreath right onto the fabric.  Like this.


This little project has me coming up with many more ideas for my Easter decorations.  Stop by my blog to check them out.  Thanks again Kami for the invite, I'd love to be your guest anytime!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Nancy,
Thank you for your sweet comment and links to make little birdies. So cute! I just love all of your projects that you make, you are so talented!
Jenn
{redberrybarn}

Mallory said...

Love the colors! Cute cute cute!

pam said...

Cute wreath! Your nails still look great!

Jessica Lauren said...

What a cute idea! Good job! I like the fabric pattern in the background and the blue really pops off of it!

Michelle said...

Very cute! It came out great!I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Deneen said...

Love this and now I am following you! Visit me!
dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

Candice said...

Super cute! I have to get me some crepe paper to make a wreath like that! Love it! Here from Tatertots and Jello.

Amanda K @ Every Crafty Endeavor said...

I saw you on TT&J and just wanted to stop by and say hello and tell you your wreath is really very cute!

I am having an "every crafty blog" linky party and would love for you to come and join!

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

Very, very cute!! I love it!!