Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Best Story Ever! With a very, very exciting ending...

Okay so sometimes I put stories up that I think my Mother might be the only one who enjoys.  But this is a good one.  Trust me when I say you'll want to listen to my ramblings so that you can read the end.  And I can never just tell you about something, no I have to tell you the back story, it's how I work people.

So the other night I was laying in bed wide awake.  It was late at night, but I think I'd had a few diet Coke's too many and I couldn't sleep.  Plus Travis was snoring a bit (sorry honey, but you were) and that wasn't helping my plight either.  So my mind turned to very random thoughts one of which was a plaid shirt I've been obsessing over.

You see often times if I see something I like I can't get it out of my mind until I get it, eat it, buy it, create it, or whatever I have to do to satisfy my craving.  So ever since Oprah and Gayle went to Yosemite a while back I've been obsessing over the perfect plaid shirt.  Why?  Because I loved the shirt Oprah was wearing when she went horse back riding, and I have been trying to find one like it ever since.   But I still haven't found the perfect one.  So as I was laying there I picked up my iPhone and went to Oprah.com to try to see if I could email her about where she got the shirt. (In a perfect world someone would get back to me and tell me that Oprah's shirt was way too expensive for me to ever buy, but at least I'd know where it came from and maybe stop obsessing over it.)

But on my iPhone I couldn't see anything about an email address for Oprah.  So I got out of bed and came out to my actual computer.  Once I pulled up Oprah's website I noticed a little blurb about this two day window to apply for a lottery to win tickets to Oprah's after the Oscar's taping in LA.  I thought to myself: "I'd like to win tickets to that."  So I applied, (and still sent an email asking about Oprah's shirt) went back to bed, and didn't tell anyone for fear that it might jinx my chances of winning tickets.  And for the next two days I did what Oprah is always telling people to do and I sent out positive energy and thoughts like this: please, please let me win tickets! I really want to go, I've always wanted to see Oprah and this is her last season!  You know, a lot of positive pleading and whining, stuff like that.

So yesterday, which by the way was my birthday (so that makes this story even better) I pulled up my email to see this:  Oprah Show Reservations: The Oprah Show Reservation Request Status.  Then I opened the email expecting to see, sorry, but your request was denied, dream on lady.

But instead I saw this: Great news! Your ticket reservation request has been selected for the Oprah's After-Oscar(R) Party Taping 2/28/11 in LA show taping.


What?  No way.  There is no way. No, no way.  But guess what?  It's true!  I won Oprah's lottery and I got 2 tickets to go to the taping in LA! 

 Be on the Show

So here's the hard part for me.  I've actually shed tears over this people so please, please don't hate me.  Remember back a few days when I was applying for this in the middle of the night, never, ever thinking I'd actually win?  Well as you filled out your application you had to actually name your guest.  I mean even before you ever won the tickets you had to decide who you would take if you won.  Now that's a tough decision.  Sophie's choice tough practically.  I have a Mom, four beautiful sisters, a lot of super close friends, and plenty more close friends, all of whom would like to go with me.  I'm pretty sure I'd quickly become the most popular girl around if I asked if anyone would care to join me for a little Oprah.  But I had to make a decision.  And they only let you put one name on your application, and they said you had to be  100% sure because they were checking ID at the door.  So here's how I chose my friend.  Location, location, location.  Plus, she's one of my very dearest friends.

My friend Liz lives very near LA (no car rental or hotel) and she loves Oprah, and she has taken me to do many a fun thing in my life, and she's been a good friend to me since infancy (literally we've known each other that long).  So it only made sense to chose her.  But I think in that choice I've hurt a lot of feelings.  And I feel really awful about that and wish I could have more tickets, but I can't.  So please just be happy for me and don't think I'm a horrible person because I didn't choose you.  

So now I need a new outfit! What do you wear to meet the Queen?  Or at least sit hundreds of feet away from her and scream her name when she comes out on stage.  Seriously, I need help.  What would you wear?  

Oh and also, I bought a ticket to this in Arizona in April, I can't wait!  



 


I promise to get back to blogging next week (this week was crazy busy, it was my Dad's birthday, my birthday, my kids were out of school, I hosted a church party last night at my house, today is my nephew's baptism, and tomorrow we're having family over for the Super Bowl).  But next week is looking good for blogging.  I have a fun tutorial all ready to go on Monday :)

26 comments:

Courtney said...

Congrats on winning and on your birthday no less! I think I remember when we went to the Oprah show they said not to wear white on top so I'd pick a bright color. Have fun.

Toni said...

Yeah Nancy!!!!! I know how incredibly exciting that is first hand!!! :) You are going to have an amazing time! Can't wait for you next tutorial. ;) And can't wait to see you in April!

alissa said...

Nancy - that is AWESOME!!! And even better that you found out on your birthday. Lucky girl. Hope you have an amazing time!

Steph said...

WHAT? I can't believe it! That is the best birthday present ever!! If I could figure out a way to get a ticket I would come join you guy's! In the mean time I will work on being happy that you are going...without me:) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You deserve it!

Rebecca Irvine said...

So cool! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

kms said...

Great birthday present!
Wear something colorful. With that beautiful blonde hair and bright smile they may sit you closer than you think!

Angela said...

You should wear Oprah's plaid shirt! Very excited for you!

Lynsi said...

HOLY COW!!! That's so great! COngrats to you, I'm sure you and Liz will have a fabulous time! Oh and Happy Birthday!!!!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

How fun!

Amanda said...

Jealous! Congrats to you!!

Katie Richardson said...

I can't think of a more perfect winner to go to the after Oscars party. You are a true Oprah fan Nancy. I am so excited for you! Liz is a lucky girl and a perfect choice to accompany you. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Ally said...

Lucky girl! Happy for you!

Ryan and Alicia said...

How incredible!! You and Liz are going to have a blast! Now it makes watching the Oscars (and seeing who wins) that much more exciting. Because they are the ones who will be her guest! Have a wonderful time in LA!

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

I am so happy for you! And I am sure that anyone who had their feelings hurt, won't feel that way for long. Hw could anyone stay mad at you? That just crazy! What a great birthday present, have a wonderful time!

Toria said...

my feelings are totally hurt! Location, location- whatever. Just kidding. I would have done the same thing- put down the person that lives to closest and assume it wouldn't matter in the end because I wouldn't win. How fun!!! You girls will have a blast- I didn't even know it was Oprah's last season. What will the world do without her?

Have a blast! Post some good pics! (sounds like you've had a busy week).

AL&G said...

Congrats. If you win tickets to see Conan O'Brien...I hope you will take me. He and I have more in common...seeing as we are both leggy redheads with fake Irish accents. Lots of love, Linds

Megan B ♥ said...

ROCK ON, Fancy!!! The universe LOVES you! And so do I!

abby said...

nancy!! soo cool! i can't wait to hear all about it.

Susan said...

Love your blog...I can totally relate to the late night pondering... as I am a diet coke addict and my husband (sorry honey) snores. :) Congratulations on winning the tickets :) Have a wonderful time and wear what makes you feel good.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

So-so fun! My sister's got two tickets too!

I'm a wee bit jealous. :)

Anonymous said...

why would you not take your fancy pants husband to this once in a life time event? How selfish can you get aunt nancy!

pam said...

How fitting for a girl who has always loved Oprah! And of course since Lizzy is already close and is a great friend, she's the perfect one to take. Wish is was like Wicked and I could volunteer to drive you over to L.A. and come with you. But I guess if you only have 2 tickets, it has to be Lizzy.

Jill Bagley said...

WOW!! that is such a great story.
i obsess over things too---and i swear its what drives my creativity. maybe thats what we have in common creative lady!!
im so happy for you!! i only wish i lived in LA and you would have picked me. :( ---i know---iknow---not cool enough to be your very best friend.

when can we go somewhere together?
im so sorry that we didnt get a chance to go to the gem and mineral show. if you ever want to go--just let me know, its no problem to use my tax ID.

Liz said...

Aftet reading all these comments im feeling a bit guilty! When I called nancy to wish her a happy birthday and she broke this story to me...i felt like it was my birthday! I feel like the luckiest girl along with nance. I promise all of you I will be the best guest to nancy and make sure we have the best time ever and take pics of her thru out the entire experience for her to post! Thank u nancy! I love you girl! :)

ewulik said...

witam!chcesz zobaczyć ciekawostki na temat dzieci zapraszam na moją stronę http://naszedzieci-ewulik.blogspot.com

cindya01 said...

Congrats on your tixs...My honey and I are going too..Maybe we'll see you there...We're driving down from Northern California. :-) Feeling very grateful tonite.