Friday, January 21, 2011

Family Room Update

Hi.  My name is Nancy, and I run this here little blog.  Only lately it feels more like life has been running me, and my poor blog has suffered.  I recently checked my stats just sure that you'd all have dropped me by now, but much to my surprise there were even more of you who had signed on.  I just have to say a big THANK YOU for even caring about me.

So where have I been?  Well I've been here and there, and I've still been participating in life, just not documenting it.  My husband keeps asking me why I'm not blogging, so I figure if he notices then maybe there's one or two more of you out there who notice as well.

I've been obsessing over filling my new entertainment unit.  Like I said before, it's maybe a little big for the space, but the reason is that my husband had to have room for a big screen TV, and I had to have room for my chotchkees.  So here's what I've got so far.  I finally decided on an accent color for the room.  I found the curtain fabric hard to pair up with another color, but finally settled on this mustard yellow.


What do you think?  I love this yellow fabric.  It's by Robert Allen for Dwell Studios, I bought it at Fabric.com (it's way cheaper from them).  I think it will really brighten up my space when I make some big accent pillows out of it.  I'll show you them after I make them, but for now I'll just show you how I've filled the hutch.

What do you think?  I looked everywhere to find things I liked to fill this with, and ended up finding most of what I wanted at Hobby Lobby.  Which by the way never buy anything full price at Hobby Lobby.  If it's not half off this week it will be next week. That's where I got the globe, clock, yellow vase, bird plate, little finial looking vase things, and baskets.  The birdcage I found a the D.I. (a local thrift store), the cream vase was a gift from my friend Courtney, the cream pineapple (or maybe it's an acorn which would actually blend really well with my curtains) was a hand me down from my Mom, and the silhouettes I made.  

That's what I've got in it today anyway, I pretty much change it on a daily basis but think I've finally got the hutch in a place I can be happy with for a little while.  In my shopping/decorating excursions I also picked up this new mirror.


Don't you love it?  I haven't quite decided where to put it, but most likely it will end up above my fireplace.  The best part was the price, I really thought it was a steal at $41.99.  Like it?  Love it?  I got it at Ross.  (Now you're probably annoyed and wishing I'd go back to my non-blogging state).

I've got quite a few more home decor projects in the works actually.  I recently changed out the bedding in my son Dallas' room and made new pillows and a bed skirt for that.  I'll show you when it's finished.  And my sweet Father-In-Law-Kent-who-never-gets-annoyed-by-my-projects I give him built me a few new shelves for my bathrooms and this cool coat rack that I need to paint and put the hooks on.


I'm excited about this.  The thing about Utah is it's cold, and the thing about cold is that you need a coat.  In our Arizona house there wasn't even a coat closet.  Here we have one and it's completely full and too high up for my kids to hang up their own coats.  So this fed up Mom decided a coat rack was in order.  I like it, it'll look even better when I paint it.  Would you paint it white or match my curtains in a sea green type of color?  I'm trying to decide.  I also think it might need a decorative finial or something on the top.  Any ideas?

Well that's it for me today.  I promise to be back sooner than later. I have craft supplies for a gift I'm making for my Mom's birthday so maybe I'll do a tutorial on that.  Thanks for sticking around!

15 comments:

Beth Eaton said...

Love the fabric and the hutch! And I can't wait to see what you do with the coat rack! I need one of those! You should come check out my giveaway, I think you would like it!
http://makiacreations-beth.blogspot.com/2011/01/makia-creations-time-to-play-giveaway.html

Summer Miller said...

All is right with the world again now that you're back!

The Rindi's said...

Just discovered you have a blog and I'm pretty excited about it!! I love new blogs and I love how crafty you are!! If you are ever in need of a Hobby Lobby buddy I'm pretty sure I live there so just call:) and yes I LOVE the yellow fabric!! That is what my accent color will be in my roomwhen I finish it.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Love it! I need to redo my living room as well--I wish I could steal your ideas, but my red couch wouldn't match so well...

Angela said...

I'm a fan of it all! And I think it's either a pineapple or an artichoke. Mom collects both of those things. Also, I vote for a finial on the coat rack. And You should paint it an accent color, like your mustard yellow.

Laura said...

What do I think? I think it looks fabulous! I love the choice o fabric and the mirror is so glamorous!

kms said...

Glad you're back.
Love it all!

Christie K said...

You have great taste!!! All you Craig kids are so talented!!

pam said...

Glad to find you back with a new post. Love the new fabric and all the new stuff. But now that your hutch is all filled up, what will you be looking for when we go shopping?

Megan B ♥ said...

You have such a talented eye and a gift for beautification. I think it is so funny that dh noticed that you haven't been blogging! I love what you've done to the place and the curtains are just lovely!

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

Yay, you are back! I really do like what you have done with your beautiful new entertainment set. I think we share a fondness for birds, I have them all over my house.
I love the coat rack, I too am in Utah and, yes we need coats! I think you should paint it the color of your drapes, IMHO.

Julie said...

Love Love Love all of it... I so wish I had your talent...

Toria said...

love that your back- understand the long breaks- I am a frequenter of them.
your house is looking wonderful- one of these days I will see it in person and know my way around :)
I say go for a bold color for the coat rack- probably the mustard yellow or another accent color. It'll be fun.
I'm no expert I'm just a lover of Top Design.

Ashley said...

Very Cute Nancy,

Where did you get your hutch/TV stand? I can't remember if you mentioned that in a past post. We are thinking about upgrading to a new TV and I need something that would fit it. yours is adorable!

Becky said...

You're back! Hoorah! I missed you (but I understand the breaks--they're just part of life). Great job on the front room and wish I could see it in person! Sophie says "can you please come over like Pam can? and bring your kids?" So you better get planning a road trip as well as all those crafts!