Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Evolution of a Valentine's Day Mantel

Don't you just love that I have an evolving mantel?  I do.  In our last house (in AZ) we didn't even have a fireplace, and as a result there was no mantel.  But I was just sure that I needed a mantel to decorate so I had my Father-In-Law build and install one even though it wasn't planking a fireplace.  It worked though, see.

But for whatever reason I feel very compelled to decorate my mantel with every changing season and holiday.  I'm pretty sure I get this from my Mother, she did the same.  So when I put up my Valentine's decorations again this year, I liked the way it looked and thought the decorations were fine, but didn't felt like it said Happy Valentine's Day the way I wanted it to.


So the other night when I was making my Mom's monogram for her birthday I thought the same process would work well for some Valentine's Day decorations.  So I pulled out a few more wooden plaques, some scrapbook paper, and some glittery wood chip letter stickers that I had from another project and set out to make some Valentine's Decorations.  I'm quite excited with the results, really, things like this strangely make me happy.


What do you think?  Much better, right?  Now you're not sitting on my couch wondering what my obsession with pink cupcakes is, you know right away that my mantel is decorated for Valentine's Day.  That right there is some sweet satisfaction.




So I didn't take tutorial pictures, but it really is exactly the same process as I used in the monogram tutorial only I used the chipboard stickers (for the locals I bought them at Roberts) and some rolled flowers I had been experimenting with.  You wouldn't even have to do rolled flowers, you could choose from any of my flower tutorials and glue them right on.


This cute pink wreath I made last year at Valentine's time following a tutorial from Amy at the Idea Room.



What do you think?  I think I'm feeling pretty ready for some Valentine's Day love at our house :)

14 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Darling! You are making me feel crafty.

Our really empty nest said...

I love your "after" mantel, it looks adorable! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!! Sue

Laura@Corner House said...

I love your mantel. I featured it on my blog today.
http://corner--house.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-day-mantels.html

Em said...

I love that wreath!

Becky said...

Ummm. . .can you come decorate my house? Please, please, PLEASE!

Becky said...

Love the glitter and all the decos. P.S. This will probably show up as being from Becky, but you know who is visiting her.

Debbie Jean said...

So pretty! Oh to have some talent! I am so talentless!!!

God Bless~
Debbie Jean

Cheryl said...

I think the after says Valentines perfectly, I adore the pretty little pink bird, she is too pretty, and the wreath is adorable in pink too.
Cheryl
http://txcateyez.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Love the fabric rosettes on there - it's the perfect added touch!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

So cute! I'll be featuring this today on my site.

Jerri said...

I love this! Everything looks so cute together!

Maggie @ Black and White {Side by Side} said...

Oh I'm such a sucker for anything houndstooth! I love that shade of blue & pink together too. Lovely all around :)

April said...

this is lovely! I saw those birds at Micheals the other day and was trying to figure out what to do with them...this was such a cute use of them!

JoLynn said...

This is so cute! I especially love your wreath!! {I'm a big wreath fan...have them all over my house.} :)