Monday, November 8, 2010

Thanksgiving Mantel

Do you ever have a vision of something amazing in your head, then try to make it into reality, and feel that it all just fell short of the vision?  That's kind of how I feel about my Thanksgiving mantel.  Oh well.  I guess I'm just glad I got Halloween put away before it was time to decorate for Christmas.  I thought I'd do a cute interim Thanksgiving mantel, but am not totally loving the results.  Part of the problem is that Thanksgiving decorations are hard to come by this "late" in the game.  The only decorations I found at the stores on Saturday were Christmas.  Also I guess my color scheme is a little non-traditional, but it looked Fallish in my head.  Anyhoo, here's what I've got.  I have some blue and white pottery that I love, and used to have up in my Arizona home, so I thought I'd work that in with some orange accents.  What do you think?




Ignore the horrible lighting.  It's raining, crazy cloudy and even foggy outside today.  Anyway I like the bunting I made, but I'm not sure that it screams Thanksgiving, but that's actually kind of how I wanted it.  Two of those blue and white pottery pieces (the ones with lids) Travis and I got on our honeymoon in Mexico, so there's some sentimental value in those for me.  And then of course there's my birds.  I have to have birds in there somewhere.


I put some of my other pottery pieces on top of my TV.  They help add to the pottery theme, right?


If you want to know how to make a similar bunting, here's my tutorial on that.  P.S. I'm on the hunt for a cute turkey (the decorative kind), if I can't find one I'm going to try to make one, but does anyone have any good suggestions?  Also if you know where I can get my hands on some of these Pottery Barn plates I'd love you forever.  


I looked on eBay and can't find them. These have been a big regret of mine that I never bought them when they were available.  Sigh. 

10 comments:

Lfree said...

If that's falling short, I'd like my mantel to do the same. :) Looks fab, and I love the blues with the orange and white. It's nice and fresh!

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

I love the addition of blue! It kind of gives it a modern twist to the traditional "fally" colors. I adore the pennant bunting! Too cute!

Miss M! said...

I love your combo of the orange and blue. It's really pretty and totally unexpected!

Those plates are rather awesome too. :)

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

So, so pretty- love those plates!

Beth Eaton said...

I think it looks great! And the bunting brings it all together in my opinion! Good job!

pam said...

I really like your color scheme and your bunting. The orange looks nice with all the blue. You really don't need more. But I guess if you want more and can't find it you will have to make it.

brittanydaw said...

Personally, I love the blue. Great idea--I wish I could put together rooms the way you do!

Lynsi said...

I love the colors you used!

abby said...

very nice! i really really love the touch of blue and all that white.

~Cari said...

Love the mantel! Here's a link for a turkey you can make. My friend posted this turkey craft on facebook. Creative? or not? LOL

http://www.tamponcrafts.com/turkey.html