Thursday, November 11, 2010

Take 2

I just wanted to thank you for all your nice comments on my Thanksgiving Mantel.  I told Trav you never can tell what people are going to like, or what they will comment on.  So I was very surprised that so many of you liked it and said so. 


That said, I changed it. This is just better, right? 


It wasn't that I didn't like it, I did.  But I didn't love it, and couldn't wrap my mind around the blue.  Also, it clashed with my new curtains.  


What do you think?  Do you like them?  Are they on the verge of Grandmaish?  Not that there's anything wrong with Grandmas, around here, we love 'em.  It's just that I like Traditional/Contemporary things, and I worry that I border on Grandma some times. 


I think the print is pretty contemporary, but maybe the furnishings make it border on old lady.  Or maybe I'm just an old lady now and I haven't yet come to terms with that. 

The problem with the new curtains is that they seem to serve to highlight everything else that's wrong in my family room.  I can see now very clearly where I need some art work, and they make our old-but-still-works-great-and-we-appreciate-the-hand-me-down-TV-from-my-parents look pretty ghetto.  


So Trav and I decided that we need a new TV, and since I gave in on the new TV, he's giving in on a new piece of furniture to put the TV into.  I'll keep you updated because plans are very much on their way there, and now we know what to get each other for Christmas.  You can see what I mean, right? It's a little ghetto. 


Just picture a big white entertainment center with bookshelves where my ghetto big box TV is.  I'm excited because that will give me a lot more space to put decorative items (into the bookshelf part).  Once again, ignore the bad lighting.   Can you tell there are very high ceilings in this room?  They've always tripped me up, and I've never been quite sure what to do with them, so any decorating advice would be much appreciated. I even sent an email to ask Nate Berkus what I should do, and strangely, I haven't heard back from him yet.  I thought about waiting until I'd finished the room to show you the final product, but then I thought it would be kind of fun to take you along for the ride.  


So for now, I'm just grateful for my new curtains and my sweet Mom who came to help me make them.  Thanks Mom!

9 comments:

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

Love, love the curtains.. & the mantel! ;)

Becky said...

Nancy, you are hilarious and I love you! I also love your curtains. I think you need some throw pillows to tie it all together. . .maybe introduce another color? Like yellow or plum for a little somethin-somethin? Make a little pop art with some wrapping paper modge podge project like that bicycle I did? Anyway, its lookin awesome and I can't wait to see what you do! I have curtain envy! I've been wanting new curtains for 6 stinkin years and haven't made it happen yet! You inspire me and this comment is officially too long.

alissa said...

I love your mantle and the new curtains! They definitely do not look Grandma-ish to me!

Brie Wheelwright said...

Love the curtains and the mantel!

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

Oh wow!! I love your curtains, and I am 33 and definitely NOT a grandma, for what it's worth. They look great! I think that I can see your vision for the TV, it will be awesome. Don't you just love how one project always leads to another one?! It happens to me all the time.
Keep up the good work :)

Autumn said...

Nancy Pants. I love the curtains. Not grandmaish. However, I'd love it if you were my grandma--I bet I'd get lots of amazing gifts.
Love the mantel.
-Aut.

Ally said...

You are really the cutest girl. I love the curtains! I love both mantles, but I think I loved the decor with the blue the best! But I love anything blue!

pam said...

So glad the curtains look so good when hung. If anybody thinks they look old ladyish, you can blame it on the old lady who helped you make them!

Sarah said...

very cute curtains - that'd be one stylin' grandma.