Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Part 2: Add a little Spring and a little Bling to your Ribbon Headband

Last night my husband Travis said to me, "I think it's time for a new blog post.  I already know how to make ribbon head bands."  I'm pretty sure that if Travis thinks it's time for a new post so does everyone else.  Sometimes life just kicks me in the butt a little (is that a weird expression? I think Travis taught it to me, but I think it works for how I've been feeling this last week), and I find I don't have as much time as I'd like to craft and blog; so after Travis' comment I decided to make the time today.  And I'm sure glad I did. Here's the second half of my headband tutorial.  Enjoy!

So now that we all know how to make our ribbon headbands (of if you don't, see this tutorial) let's embellish them, shall we? Or as I like to say, let's Fancy Nancy them up a bit.  Ooh La La.  Here's a sneak peak.


So I embellished these gold and silver headbands with some cute fabric flowers that I had made.  I followed the steps in this tutorial to make them.  But what I think makes these extra cute is that I added some tulle flowers and beads to embellish.  I made the tulle flowers the same way as the regular fabric ones by cutting tulle circles, folding them in half, and then in half again and hand sewing them onto a felt circle that was the same size as my tulle circles.  Like this.

And of course I have to have a little bling, so I sewed on these sparkly crystal beads.  Then I took my tulle flower and another fabric flower and sewed them onto a peanut shaped piece of felt that I then hot glued onto my headband.  I used a matching piece of peanut shaped felt and hot glued it from underneath the headband to secure the flowers and give a soft spot that rests on your head when you're wearing the headband.  Does that make any sense?  Here's some pictures.


Easy, right?  Now you're done and you have some really cute, sparkly headbands that will easily take you through your holiday parties.  



I really quite like this gold and yellow one, I think it's a lot of fun. 


Now if you want some easier, less permanent headbands try this.  I simply clipped flowers I had already made onto some of the other ribbon headbands.  I figure this way my 7-year-old daughter can wear them with the big flower, and I can wear the more simple ribbon version.


 To put a clip onto your fabric flowers follow these few steps with a flower, a clip, and a small piece of ribbon.  I bought this box of clips as Sally's Beauty Supply.  


 Then I just simply clip the flower onto the headband and Hallie is ready to go. 





What do you think?  Fun, right?  And so easy.  Like I said before, the tutorial I made for the fabric flowers I used is here.  And the ones that look slightly different are made in the same way, just with felt and fleece rather than cotton fabric.  See here.  And to see yet another type of fabric flower check out my rolled fabric flower tutorial here.  

9 comments:

Nancy's Couture said...

They are very p!retty

Mindy Kuen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy Kuen said...

thank you so much for part 2! I loved the ribbon headbands & the flowers are just too darn cute on there! Must go to the $ tree & grab some headbands!

Julia said...

FUN!! Fun fun fun fun!!!! And oh so girly!! Thanks for this!!!!

pam said...

We're all glad your husband urged you to post the floral part of the headband tutorial. They turned out really pretty. We'll be watching to see them in person.

CandaceAshley said...

Cute cute cute! I bet little hair clips would work too! Like mini flowers, for mini gals : ) Love the ideas!

Alicia said...

Hi, I wanted to let you know I passed along a blogging award to you. Please feel free to check it out and pass it along.
http://www.purplepaisleypinwheels.com/2010/11/i-was-awarded.html

Aiming4Simple said...

I like that you put clips on the flowers. My daughters are looking over my shoulder and are ready to make this now!

Nichelle @ Vintage Wanna Bee said...

THIS IS MY FAVORITE POST AT THE TATORTOTSANDJELLO LINK PARTY! I love this!

I'd love for you to check out my blog, I even have a giveaway right now!!! I'm also working on a bunch of "princess inspired" headbands I'd love your input on!!

http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

mucho love.
nichelle.