Friday, November 12, 2010

Inexpensive Ribbon Headbands Part I

Next week I'm teaching a class to a group of women from church about some inexpensive homemade gift ideas. I'm trying to show them cute handmade gifts that use fabric scraps, or ribbon, and inexpensive materials to make, but are cute enough that you'd be excited to give or receive them. These ribbon headbands are the building blocks to even cuter flower headbands, but I thought before I showed you the fun final product, I'd show you how to make your headband base, or if you're like me and you don't always want a big flower on top of your head, these are great just as they are.  I came up with these while trying to wrap some headbands with ribbon, and I didn't like the results, so I tried this instead and loved them.

First you'll need some inexpensive headbands.  I picked these up at the Dollar Store.  They were 6/$1.00, and if I did my math right that's well, cheap.  Really cheap.  And don't worry that they said Kid's headbands on them, they fit my head very comfortably, and I have a rather large head.  Actually I don't know that it's all that large, it might be the one body part I have that's quite average actually.  But moving on.


Pick yourself up some headbands and cute ribbons whose width is larger than the width of your headband.  I personally like a somewhat slim headband and find that they are less likely to give me a headache.  I picked up my ribbon at Hobby Lobby where they are more often than not on sale for half off, and so these ribbons were all $1.00 each.


Then take your ribbon and measure it around your headband, but give yourself 3-4 inches extra.


Then head to your sewing machine.  Fold your ribbon exactly in half, and sew it along one edge, then turn it over and sew down the other.



Now you're ready to insert your headband.  Carefully slide your headband into the ribbon.  The headbands I used were plastic, and I did break one, so be careful and take your time with this step.





Once you've got your headband all the way into your ribbon and it fits snugly you can burn the edges of your ribbon to make sure it won't fray.  I didn't get a very good picture of this step, it's pretty much impossible to do while taking a picture.  But basically hold the ends of your ribbon into the flame, and it will seal the edges so they won't fray.  Or you could also use Fray Check to do the same thing, but the burning step is kind of fun and pretty cool, and you're more likely to have matches than Fray Check anyway.   Then hot glue the remainder and fold it into the inside of your headband.  I didn't get a picture of that step, so I hope you understand what I mean.


See how easy that is?  And the results are so much cuter than your plain dollar store headband.  I wear these all the time.  So I don't think they are only for little girls, although they would make really cute headbands for little girls and you could get much more fun with your ribbon choices.


I'll be back to show you some embellished headbands soon, enjoy!  

17 comments:

Cappuccino and Cobwebs said...

Very cute Nancy! I may have to try this soon, I know one little girl who would be thrilled to have some of these!

Brandy

Fawn Becker said...

I love these! I am going to make some for my daughter & myself :)

brittanydaw said...

When are you doing this--is it for RS? Do you think I could crash the party??? I'd love to come.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute! What a great idea for my girls to do for their little girlfriends this Christmas!

I linked to you on my Tatertots FB page :)

xox
Jen

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

Awesome, awesome idea.. Thanks for sharing!!

Becky said...

Love!!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

cute idea!

Rebecca Irvine said...

These are so cute--I love them.

BTW, Becky made me one of your jewelry boards for my birthday. I love it!

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

These are so cute, and sewing the ribbon gives them such a tailored finished look. LOVE!!

meganparker said...

Yah! I get to be on of the ladies you teach these things to. I am excited!

pam said...

Uour headbands turned out so cute! all of them. And I have to comment on the plate or tray on which you are displaying them. I love it too and don't recall seeing it before. Is it new?

Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan said...

What a great tutorial. These will be wonderful for my granddaughters.
I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

abby said...

LOVE the gold and silver! i need to do this, stat, as soon as i figure out why my sewing machine is broken.

Fabric Bows and More said...

Cute headbands! You have been featured, feel free to grab a button.
http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

Sophia said...

This is great! My daughter loves headbands, but she's pretty hard on them. As a result, I have several plain ones that all the pretties have fallen off. I'm going to try this with them!

Tania said...

this is cute and looks like fun to make, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tut. Love these! I found it was easier to cut the fabric off the headband that came with it. That way you expose the actual plastic headband which is soo much easier to slip into the ribbon :)