Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Time!

Have you heard that there's a shortage of canned pumpkin this year?  It's probably because it's all sitting in my pantry.  Just kidding.  But when I heard there was a shortage and finally started seeing it on the store shelves I started buying some every time I went to the grocery store, I'm kind of like that.  I can probably stop now, but I gotta say, I love pumpkin everything this time of year.


So when I spotted these at Target yesterday I thought I needed to try them (you know, uh hem, for the kids and all...).  Anyway they're pretty good if you like Pop Tarts.  Or am I the only one who secretly likes a good brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tart ?(maybe just me and Brittney Spears)


But this weekend on the menu at our house will be this yummy soup, I got the recipe from my friend Ashley and it's quickly become a favorite of mine.  Give it a try, you won't be disappointed (and trust me, the pictures don't do it justice).  Think Soup Nazi good:  make it right or, no soup for you!




Pumpkin Bisque
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. curry powder
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 tsp. salt
2 cups cream or milk (I used fat free half and half, and never missed the cream one bit!)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock (I didn't have the real thing so I boiled 2 1/2 cups of water and used chicken bouillon)
Directions: Melt butter in skillet and add sliced onions. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and saute until limp. Sprinkle with curry powder and saute an additional few minutes. In a food processor or blender or a hand immersion blender(don't skip this step, trust me this soup is worth dirtying up your food processor) mix curried onions, pumpkin, and salt. Transfer pumpkin mix to large saucepan and heat slowly with chicken stock, and then add cream.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We make a recipe close to this every year at this time. The hubby and kids LOVE IT! I use 1 sweet onion, brown sugar, and 2 large granny smith apples with Brummel and Brown instead of butter. The rest is like your recipe. It is a great recipe because it is easy to make it your own or adjust it to what you have on hand (maple syrup - the good stuff, agave, or even butternut squash in place of the pumpkin). Thanks for the post Nancy! I need to run out and get some pumpkin!

Jenny

pam said...

It was last year that there was really a shortage of canned pumpkin for some reason or other. But I bought a large can this year, have to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday! Guess I had better buy more if everybody is already stocking up.

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh, oh! Was it at Smith's??

I am TOTALLY making that soup. You know.... after I locate some pumpkin....

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

I just bought some pumpkin at Costco, I was on the phone with my sister and I told her that I was going to get some for her too {aren't I so nice, yes I know}. Anyway she quickly told me that she already had some, huh? Well i was excited because it meant more for me. Once I was home and unloading everything into my pantry I realized that I still had quite a bit in there left over from last year. Maybe I caused the shortage because it is all in my pantry ;)
Anyway.... I am going to make this soup tomorrow, it looks wonderful!!

debbie said...

That sounds YUMMY! but seeing as my hubby HATES pumpkin- it probably wouldnt go over very well here :(

Tami G. said...

That looks DIVINE. I must have some.

Heidi Ferguson said...

I just made this recipe! It was perfect bisque...I only wish it were a tad thicker. But I did use freshly baked butternut squash instead of canned pumpkin, so maybe that's the difference. I love it though! Thanks!

www.honeybearlane.com