Thursday, October 28, 2010

Our Halloween Costumes 2010

On Monday the kids and I headed to Grandma's for the day to make our Halloween costumes.  I've loved living by my Mom again so that I can run to her every time I need sewing help (I'm not sure she loves it as much as I do :).  Anyway I'm so excited about the results.  The kids got dressed up last night for my In-Law's annual Halloween Barn Party so we had a little photo shoot while they were in full costume.  These two had no problem hamming it up for Mom's camera.


First up:  Hallie girl.  Hallie wanted to be Alice In Wonderland this year.  She's in a Music Theater class and this year they are doing a play based on Alice In Wonderland, so we thought she should go with that theme.   My Mom and I (mostly my Mom) made her dress and apron.  I wish I could point you in the direction of a pattern, but my Mom doesn't work that way.  We used a collar from one pattern, sleeves from another (I felt like Anne of Green Gables with a need for puffed sleeves), a bodice from a third, and then made up the rest.


Now Dallas had more of a hard time coming up with a costume idea for himself.  I found this skull fabric at Jo-Ann's and thought it was fun enough that we could create a costume based on it.  We decided to buy him a skeleton costume and then doctor it up, thus making him a Skeleton King.  I uttered the phrase "just trust your mother" more than he wanted to hear, but I think even he is happy with the results.  


We made Dallas' scepter and crown with different Halloween decorations from Michael's and some spray paint.  But of course they needed the glittery red eyes like his cape, so with a little glue and glitter we found ourselves in great shape.


I'm happy with our costume results this year (even though I wish I could get my kids to still agree on a central theme, oh well.)  And I think there are two other people who are happy with them as well. 


I'm pretty much already mourning the day these two refuse to dress up for Halloween.  I figure I've got a good 8-10 years left. I think their college roommates might find it a bit odd when their Mom shows up wanting to measure them for costumes. But I'm not saying I won't try. 




13 comments:

Lisalulu said...

wow they are great, love the crown, and I MISS living by my daughter and baby, so I'm SURE your mom is happy to have you near by!

Annie said...

Holy moly nancy those are incredible. I heard how talented you are but now I am just going to keep looking at your blog more so I can see it! I love it! Miss you...

Lfree said...

They crack me up. You have two of the best kiddos for hamming it up. :) I love it. Their costumes are awesome!

Katie Richardson said...

Very cute costumes. Hallie looks great as a platinum blond. And I LOVE the skeleton king. Why is it we always have to remind our children to trust us.

I trust you Nancy!

Ashley said...

Those costumes are awesome! Good thing he trusted his mother:)

Courtney said...

very clever!

Ally said...

Wowsers. You and your mom are adventurous! They look darling...if a skeleton king can look darling that is.

Steph said...

Love it! Hallie is the cutest Alice in Wonderland...and, has the most personality!

pam said...

The kids look great un their costumes. Glad they approved.Hallie looks so authentic. Good thing Dallas trusted his mom. I really like his crown and sceptor, and of course the cape!

alissa said...

Your kids are so cute Nancy! Both of their costumes look great - homemade costumes are the best!

abby said...

awesome! i especially love cute alice. and the anne reference. :)

Jill Bagley said...

love the costumes!! i have to say---i am really against family themes for costumes.
unless your kids are babies---i think its just cruel.
because its really just the parents trying to make themselves look clever for doing a theme.
halloween is about letting kids imagine---and create.
i think its so much more valuable a holiday when kids are allowed to choose their costumes!!
thats my story and im sticking to it :) ha ha.

Kylie Capshaw said...

Aw, those two look cute in their Halloween costumes. The skeleton one is awesome, and it must have been a hit with the other kids. Good job!