Friday, October 1, 2010

Frustrations on Mass Producing

Whenever people ask me why I don't sell my crafts I've always answered that whenever I've tried to "mass produce" something it takes the fun out of it for me.  I reminded myself of that once again yesterday.  I've been making these cute Halloween decorations with the intent to sell them.


Things were going great, I had a lot of fun putting together the art of this project, fabric is fun for me.  But yesterday I attempted to frame these decorations and I reminded myself why I never do this.  The first fabric piece that I tried to attach to a frame was a complete failure.  The staples in the staple gun I was using were way too long and shot straight through the frame.  Then I had to figure out how to attach the rest of the fabric pieces to the remaining frames.  I tried a regular stapler at the suggestion of my husband, but that didn't work.  Then I went out and bought some tacks, but they didn't work either.  I'm thinking of using the glue gun, but worrying that won't work very well for the long term.  At this point I'm ready to give up and give these away to Trick-Or-Treaters on Halloween Night.  Should I keep going, or throw in the towel?  Is anyone even interested in buying one of these?  They were originally intended for a boutique that is no longer happening, and now I've got to figure out what to do with them.  They are bigger than they look.  The frames themselves are 15 X 15 inches, and the inside art is about 12 X 12.  I'd be willing to part with them for $20 plus a little for shipping (or no shipping if you live by me).  Any takers?  Let me know what you think.  And any advice on the positive side of mass producing (does 10 count as mass producing?) would be great too!

4 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

I do not like mass producing either! It ends up making me want to pull my hair out! I get bored too easy and like to work on different things all the time.

Your Halloween art is very pretty!

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

It looks super cute! I agree, it's more fun to make your own one of a kind and enjoy it or share it with a friend.

Marcheline said...

I cannot agree with you more on the whole "takes the fun out of it" thing. I started a store on Etsy (a great idea if you are dedicated to selling your work) but lost interest as items took a LOT longer to sell than I had anticipated. Sure, I sold some things, but it put a kind of pressure on me to make more that I rebelled against in the end.

I think you should gift your creations to deserving friends and family. You can't charge enough money for small craft items like this to actually pay you back for time and effort and money spent on materials and make a profit as well. At least in my experience.

However, friends and family will be honored to receive hand crafted gifts like this.

Keep crafting! Pressure free if possible!

pam said...

They are really cute Halloween decorations. Sorry about the frustrations of mass production. The only thing I ever tried to mass produce were the tole paintings and that worked O. K. But my days of adding to my store of decorations is over.