Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Quick and Easy Child's Apron Tutorial

Do you remember the craft apron I made for my friend Stephanie's daughter?  Well I think I promised you a tutorial.  So when my sweet niece Norah had her 4th birthday last week I decided she needed an apron too.  Yesterday I was at Wal-Mart (I'm not ashamed to shop at Wal-Mart, one stop shopping is good enough for this girl) I came across this cute kitchenish fabric.  Now I had seen this fabric twice before, the first time was at my local fabric store where I think it was around $9 a yard.  Then I saw it at JoAnn's for about $7 a yard, but yesterday I saw the very same fabric at Wal-Mart for $2.97 a yard and so I snatched some up.  I thought it would be perfect for this project.  Would you agree?  Before I show you how fun and easy this is to make (perfect for a beginning sewer) I want to show you the final product to keep you interested.


Isn't it cute?  I think Norah will love this.  Ellie's apron had craft supplies, but I know how little girls love to help out in the kitchen and thought this would be fun too.  You could also make a version for a little boy with tools.  Or boys like crafts and cooking too, either way, this is how you make it.

First you'll need a rectangle of fabric.  I cut mine 16X18 inches long (18 inches is a half of a yard).


Then you want to fold that in half right sides together so you've made yourself a 16X9 inch rectangle.


Then you'll want to take a piece of pom pom trim that is cut to 16 inches and pin it along the inside of that bottom seam.  Make sure you have the pom poms on the inside and the trim part bumping up to the edge of your fabric.


Pin the pom pom trim on the inside. 


So now your pom pom trim is pinned into place and your two side seams are still open.  You're going to want to cut two pieces of ribbon 15 inches long (or longer depending on the size person you are making this for, Norah happens to be very tiny) and tuck it into the inside of one of your side seams at the opposite end of your pom pom trim (this is the top of your apron) and pin.  Only a little bit of the ribbon should be hanging out, you want the long tie on the inside so that when you pull the apron to the right side you'll have a tie and not a tiny piece of ribbon.


(sorry for the blurry picture, I didn't use my camera that was good for close-ups for this tutorial, oh well)


Now pin this into place and pin up the entire side seam as well, but leave the other seam open so that you can pull the apron through.  In the next picture you'll see that I pinned the whole thing before realizing my mistake. I didn't sew it all closed, I just had it wrong in the picture.  I never said I was perfect, but hopefully that's why you like me :)


Now sew along the bottom edge and the one side seam incorporating the pom pom trim (careful not to sew on the pom poms themselves, only the trim part) and the ribbon into your stitches.  Always remember to back stitch when you start and stop.


Now pull your apron through your open side seam to the right side. 


Like that.  Now you'll need to tuck in the open side seam, add the other 15 inch ribbon, pin and sew up the remaining side.


That was easy, right?  Now you could stop here, but it wouldn't be near as cute, and we like cute so we'll keep going.


But before I show you the cute pockets I need to show you a trick my niece Shelby taught me.  To keep your ribbon from fraying you simply hold a lighter or match to the end of  it and it melts and seals the end of the ribbon.  Like this.  (I only used a candle so I could take a picture, but there's no need for that, simply hold the ribbon's end to a lit match).


Now your ribbon will be sealed, and it won't fray.  Shelby said she did this with all of her ribbons for cheer, smart cheerleader that girl.  Okay on to the next step.

Take a coordinating piece of fabric and cut it to a 7 X 13 inch rectangle.  Then take the four sides of the rectangle and turn them in with your iron about 1/2 inch or so.


Now sew a seam along what will be the top of the pocket to sew it into place and give it some cute top stitching.


Next I added a cute coordinating circle to put Norah's initial onto.  I used wonder under (you can buy Wonder-Under at Wal-Mart or any fabric store) for this, I'll show you how.
1.  Take a square of fabric and a slightly smaller square of Wonder Under.  2.  Iron the sticky side of the Wonder Under onto the back side of your square of fabric.  3.  Trace a circle onto your piece of Wonder Under.  3.  Cut out your circle and pull of the paper part of your Wonder Under.  This will make your circle iron transferable.  5.  Iron your circle onto your pocket rectangle of fabric.  6.  Zig Zag stitch around your circle.

Then I used an iron-on monogram and simply ironed it onto the circle.  I don't know how to do monograms with my sewing machine, so I do the iron-on kind.  I happened to have this on hand since Norah and I have the same first initial, and truth be told I think it's actually a U, but turn it upside down and it's an N!   I know, I'm clever, at least that's what I tell my kids.


Now pin your pocket in place, sew along the two sides and bottom, and then in the middle to make three pockets.  I just eye-balled that part.  Easy, right?  I know it looks like a lot of steps, but this project took me around an hour, and that was even with me stopping to take pictures every two minutes.


Now you're done and you're so happy that you could make this project so quickly.  Heck, you even had time to volunteer at the kids' school for two hours, watch yesterday's Oprah, take your much deserved lunch break (even housewives need a break), make this project, and write a blog post about it all before the kids got home from school.  Oh wait, that was me.


I filled this apron with some of my kitchen utensils for the picture, but I plan to go get Norah some kitchen supplies of her own, and of course a pen and notepad to take orders with.  I hope she likes it as much as I do, and I hope you'll try to make one of your own, let me know if you do!  And P.S. to Emily, don't show this to Norah, I want to surprise her on Sunday.

38 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh my goodness, that's adorable!

Nancy said...

Sandra wins for seeing this so quick, I barely read through it myself, I'm so glad you like it!

katskraps4kids said...

That really is SO precious!!!

Did I skip over it, maybe- where'd you get that fabric? (she asks with fingers crossed, just hoping she can find it locally...)

I just think it is so darn cute!!!

Nancy's Couture said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Total cuteness! I have to make one of these for my little girl.

Joy said...

Good heavens that is darling!

alissa said...

Nancy - this apron is adorable! I'm filing it away for the next time I need a gift for a little girl. And seriously, the fabric was $2.97/yd??!! Sound like a pretty good reason to start shopping @ Walmart to me.

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Nancy,

The apron is adorable. I know this little girl will be tickled pink to have it.♥

Pop in for a visit when you have a moment.

Happy Day to you,
Stephanie ♥

Lfree said...

love, love, love it!

Kristi said...

This is a great apron! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to make one or ten!

Sarah said...

so so cute nancy! i love it! i'm sure norah loves it too!

leemeandthegirls said...

That is ADORABLE! I'm from the 30Days pity party, and I'm currently drooling over your blog header. :)
Visit me sometime at www.leemeandthegirls.blogspot.com
I've got an etsy shop giveaway scheduled for every week this month. You might find something you like.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I love apron birthday gifts for little ones. This is precious. I recall seeing that fabric and thinking it would be perfect. Wonderful job on this. I will definitely try it out.

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

So super cute! I am working on a cooking-themed party for my daughters' birthday and will be putting this to use!

Amnah said...

So cute! This would have went perfectly with a baking gift set that I put together. There's always next time.

baking gift set

Alisa said...

that is just too cute! love the initial on it too!

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

Love love love! Your fabric choices are perfect. I made my little one an apron last year, but think I need to make a new one now :)

Better Life Bags said...

How cute it that!! It's a great way to use up fabric scraps, too!
You should link this tutorial at my new Scrap Happy Saturday Link Party (where we figure out what to do with all our extra scraps) - and then share the button to get more people to join in the fun, too!

Love,
Rebecca

http://betterlifebags.blogspot.com/2010/10/scrap-happy-saturday-2.html

The Bonjour Four said...

how cute!!!!! and creative!!

Maaike said...

Nancy, this apron is beautiful and it looks so professional! Good job!

abby said...

norah is so lucky! i love it.

Mindy Kuen said...

Oh - that is really cute. I have to go to Wally tomororw - I hope ours has that fabric - it would make really cute curtains in my kitchen!

Thank for the fun idea

Alicia said...

I used to have this cocktail apron (that size, pockets included) that was the best apron for serving, no other restaurant I worked at had those. I was just thinking the other day that would be perfect to have for a craft fair (I don't like fanny packs) but I don't have it anymore. I am so glad I happened upon your tutorial. Of course, I can't sew so I would have to ask my mom to do that part for me. Awesome, thank you.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

i can't decide what I like the most - the fabric, the cute monogram, the adorable pom poms, or the overall look! Such a cute apron!

Deanna Jane (cullenkidsmum) said...

This is such a cute project. I am throwing a Chef Themed Birthday for my daughter next month and I love this fabric. Think I may have to run to walmart and see if I can find some!

Thanks for the tutorial~

Anne said...

Great tutorial! It is being bookmarked till I can get some fabric. Thank you!

pam said...

Hope Norah loved her birthday gift from you. It is so cute and loved because you spent your time making it.

Jami said...

This is so cute. I love the colors you chose!

Lei said...

This is just adorable. I love your combination of fabrics.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so, so cute! That fabric is perfect! I just clicked over from Tatertots and Jello and would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

i featured this at my blog! so cute!

Jeanne said...

I have a little Food Network lover that will just adore this for Christmas!

Stacey said...

This is one of the clearest tutorials I've ever seen...I'm not much of a sewer, but I think even I could do this! Guess I'll have to drag out the old machine.

HeatherT said...

I stumbled across this post via Pinterest recently. I made one of these last night following your instructions. It's for my niece's 6th birthday....I think she'll love it. My daughter is turning 6 too, and of course she's begging me to make her one too. Thanks for the tutorial!

Amy said...

Thank you for posting this tutorial! I found it via Pinterest and I made an apron for my daughter for Christmas and a tool belt for my son. I can't wait to see their reactions! Thank you so much!

Mary Ann said...

Great tutorial!!! Love the apron!

Kristy said...

Adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Reena said...

That is so adorable! And thanks for the tutorial!
But I want to say 1 thing- the $2.97 fabric at WalMart is not the quilt shop quality good fabric that you had seen at a quilt shop. The fabric co.s put out a cheaper grade of "greige goods" that they may make a run of the quilt shop print on for sale in cheaper venues. I'm sure if you actually had a piece of the "real" fabric you would be able to tell the difference.
it's fine to use the cheap stuff on stuff like that but if you are putting a ton of work into a quilt you do want to be sure to use good fabric.

Anonymous said...

Very cute. Curious as to what size fabric for a older girl, age of 12?