Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labor Day A La Mode

So here's a quick run down of my Labor Day weekend 2010.  One of the things I look forward to every Fall is Swiss Days.  It's a really fun craft/cultural fair in a small Swiss derived town in Utah called Midway.  My friend Stephanie came up for it from AZ, and my friend Toria was even in town from Dubai (how much fun is that to say?).  We met up with our friends the Rutters, my little sister Angela and her sweet Baby Jane and of course Dawn was there too.  Dawn lives in Midway and she, along with her husband Brandon, was in charge of the carmel apple booth.  Don't worry I've been dreaming of carmel apples ever since we tested hers, I think there's a few of those in my future this Fall season.  Did I mention there is really yummy food at Swiss Days?  Well there is.  Everything is Swiss, but not really.  They just put the word Swiss in front of everything they serve, Swiss Hamburgers, Swiss Hot Dogs, Swiss Tacos, you get the picture.  Authentic or not, the food is good, and the shopping is even better, so if you're in the mood to fight the crowd it can be a lot of fun.

Then Monday Travis and the kids had the day off so we decided to spend some quality family time together.  I was up bright and early Monday morning and came up with an idea I called "4 things" it's quite simple really.  There are four people in my family, and so I decided that each of us could come up with one thing to do that day and then we'd all go along for the ride.  I wanted to shop, Travis wanted to see a movie, Hallie wanted to hike and Dallas wanted to play soccer.  We didn't quite make it to everything, but we gave it our best effort.  The movie we wanted to see was sadly sold out, and we were too tired by the time the hike rolled around, but we did get in shopping, soccer and some yummy food.  I'd say it was some good quality family time and that 4 things might be making a repeat appearance at our house.


I did squeeze one craft project in as well.  I had picked up this little tote at the dollar store because I was loving the fabric it was made out of.  I didn't however love the bag itself.  So I went all Project Runway on it and turned it into something else. I'm kind of in pouch mode lately so pouches it was.  I think I might need some more of this fabric, it's got a very canvasy/almost-oilcloth feel to it, and for $1 I can certainly rationalize cannibalizing it.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'll have to get some friends together and try Swiss Days next year.

Angela said...

It was fun to see you and all your friends Nancy (although I'm sad I missed Toria and her mom!). Thanks for inviting me and Jane to tag a long for the morning.

Steph said...

I recognize that french toast! So yummy!

Thanks for a really fun weekend! It is always great to spend time with you and it was so fun to see everyone!

pam said...

I really missed all of you and the Swiss Days fun. Does Toria make this an annual event? or was it longer ago that she was here last time? We spent out Labor Day driving across Texas. I might have known you would sacrifice everything else but make it shopping. Sounds good to me.

alissa said...

OK, I can not believe that you found that tote for only a dollar! I am in love with the print. And the pouches you made are about 100 times cuter than the tote was!

Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

I love swiss days too! I know this is an old post, but I was just reading all of your back posts. Nice and relaxing, you have so many great ideas. Also, I loved your picture of the fire burning behind the Oquirrh Mountain temple. My parents are the temple presidents there, I am going to share that pic with my mom, if that is okay? :)