Monday, September 13, 2010

Dollar Store Halloween Wreath


Earlier this month I received my all time favorite magazine in the mail, the Halloween edition of Country Living.  Love it, love it, love it.  This magazine is so full of fun Halloween decorating ideas, but there was one idea in particular that caught my eye and looked easy and cheap to make.


This Halloween wreath is made out of crepe paper and a Styrofoam wreath.  I looked at it and thought, "I can make that, and I can make it even cuter."  So I did.



I picked up this orange crepe paper and Styrofoam wreath at the dollar store, and these stick pins at Wal-Mart, and for less than $4 got myself the supplies needed to make my wreath.  I like color, so I went with the orange crepe paper while Country Living went for a more Gothic look with black.  I like both, but am a little partial to my version.


This was so easy.  Take your Styrofoam wreath (I did a little shaving to mine to give it a little more rounded look - it doesn't have to turn out perfectly because you won't even see it) and wrap the whole thing in crepe paper.  Just use some of your little stick pins to keep it in place from behind.



Then cut your crepe paper into 4 inch strips.  You'll need upwards of 100 or so strips depending on the size of your wreath and how many loop de loops you want.  I used a row of 3-4 across.  The magazine used only 3, but there were spots that I thought were a little sparse and so I often used 4.  You simply fold the paper strips in half and then pin them right into your wreath.


Do this over and over until you've covered the entire wreath.


You didn't think I'd stop there did you?  I like the orange colored wreath, but definitely thought it needed a little accessorizing.  To do that I used one of these cute cameo pins and spruced it up with some ribbon and felt.



Here's how.


You take some ribbon and thread a needle with thread through it on one side of the ribbon (put a knot at the end of your thread so that it doesn't pull through all the way) and then you just keep on threading and pulling to get a ruffled effect with your ribbon.  Now I used a fairly narrow ribbon so I hot glued it around a circle of felt to make it appear larger, if you had a wider ribbon you could skip this step.  Then I simply hot glued my cameo button pin onto the ribbon, added some ribbon tails (not pictured) and then pinned the adornment to my wreath.  I'm loving the results and think it's the perfect way to dress up an otherwise boring Halloween wreath.


That's it, that's all folks.  For a couple of bucks and less than an hour's worth of time I think I've got myself a very cute Halloween wreath.  Now if my husband would just let me decorate for Halloween already...

37 comments:

Jenglamgirl said...

How adorable. I LOVE IT. You should totally come and link this up to CraftOManiac Monday link party going on now. Thanks for sharing. Jen

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

LOVE it! Adorable!!!! I shared it on my tatertots FB page and linked it over to you :)

xoxo
Jen

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

what a great wreath!!
I may have to try it!!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

OMGosh! So cute! Maybe even *I* could do it! (I've been eyeing those cupcakes on the cover!)

PS...stumbled your post! :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Absolutely adorable.
Love it!

Kim's Treasures said...

I love it!!!

Kat said...

Love your version!

Kelley said...

I like it! I love the cameo, it just makes is all the cuter!

Lisalulu said...

wow, your're good, love the pic tutorial~!

C.R.A.F.T. said...

WOW! looks great! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Adorable! I love it!

Dana said...

I love it and it totally looks better than the magazine version!!

The Peach.... said...

Oh oh oh...I am totally trying this. HOW CUTE! Love it...I will post a pic if I make it..."my version"...:)

Nancy's Couture said...

Very festive! somethiong else to add to my growing list:0)

Rebecca Irvine said...

Yours is way cuter than the magazine. Thanks for the how-to!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Hi Nancy! so cute! I love it!

Debbie said...

how clever, your little embellishment was the perfect touch. I have a great before and after party going on, I would love for you to join me.

alissa said...

Adorable Nancy! The cameo pin definitely makes the wreath!

Jenglamgirl said...

YOU HAVE BEEN FEATURED AT CRAFTOMANIAC.BLOGSPOT.COM thanks Jen ;)

pam said...

Hard to believe it's time to decorate for halloween! Love your wreath and all your halloween decorations.

Sandra said...

This is really cute and how easy? Love your cameo pin. It adds just a touch of elegance!

dnicolle said...

What a great idea, and I love how you could change it to fit any party colour scheme or theme. Visiting from www.lifeisaparty.ca

this blessed nest said...

wow!!!! love it! and the cameo with the fabric ribbon rosette. so inspired.

kellie

Bette said...

So cute!! I love the Rosette too!

Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom said...

wow! so inspiring. will be sharing with my readers tomorrow

Cara said...

This is such a great wreath! So simple (and cheap) to make, and yet still super cute! I saw that issue of Country Living and now I'm kicking myself for not picking it up!

Kara said...

LOVE this wreath!!! Saw you on tatertots and jello!!

Kara @ Mine for the Making

1 Funky Woman said...

So cute, love the cameo you added!

I'm linking up at Sawdust and scraps too!

Megan

Kim Monaco said...

That is so cute!

We're working on decorations for a Halloween dance, I'm thinking we need to make a couple Halloween wreaths. Thanks for sharing.

The Essential Packaging Store said...

What a great idea - easy to do and looks amazing! Super decor idea for a Halloween party!

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

This is fantastic.. I love!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Oh this is so cute! I might need to make one of these now.

LAURA!!! said...

I love this!! And a I totally agree, yours is even cuter than Country Living's!

Lorajean said...

You have defiantly improved upon it! I love the gingham you added. :) I put a link to it on my blog.
http://lorajeansmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-halloween-challenge-fave-tutorials.html

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Linked to your awesome project from the Dollar Store Crafts facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollar-Store-Crafts/161233564682

My favorite part of this wreath is the cameo medallion! So cute!

Anonymous said...

aaawwww it so cute i'm going to try it right now !!!!! my kids will love it!!!

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

Nancy Ward
paperFriendly
http://www.nancywardcrafts.com