Thursday, June 3, 2010

A little skirt for my little squirt

In keeping with my unplanned, serendipitous theme of red and white this week I thought I'd show you a skirt I made for Hallie last night.  She had her Kindergarten program today and they had made American themed shirts at school to wear for it.  I kept looking at the shirt thinking, "what is she going to wear with this?"  So at about 5 p.m. yesterday  I decided to try and make her a skirt.


I've seen a lot of people in the Blog world using an old t-shirt to make a waist band for skirts and I thought I'd give it a try.  I didn't use a pattern, but pulled out a skirt she already had and tried to model the size after that.  I'm pretty happy with the results and plan to make more, for both of us.  So when I do I'll be sure and do a tutorial, but this skirt was one of those real life situations where I was frantically working, and not bothering with step by step photos, sorry.


I think the waist band on this skirt was why I decided I could handle making it on my own.  I'm not very good with zippers or snaps or gathering or anything complicated, so this was perfect.  


And I thought it needed something frilly, so I added a ruffle to the bottom. This skirt cost me a whole $3.50 for a yard of fabric on sale at JoAnn's, you can't beat that.  


What do you think?  I think I need one or two for myself, they will be perfect for summer.  I promise to do a tutorial soon!

Hallie's program was so sweet.  They called it Freedom Isn't Free and sang a lot of American themed songs.  At the very end they showed a slide show of the kids from the whole year.  I was choking back the tears the whole time, it just kills me to watch my children grow.  But I was so proud of Hallie, and can't believe she's going into the 1st grade already.  So sad. I love you Hallie girl.

Keep signing up for the taffy giveaway.  You guys are making this so hard on me, I really read every comment and think, "oh she deserves this!" and then I read the next one and think, "no no, she really needs this!"  I wish I could send some to all of you, if you want to stop over at my house I'd be happy to share mine.  I told Travis he might have to choose because I can't pick just one person.  Good luck!

10 comments:

Angela said...

Yeah Hallie for finishing Kindergarten! And Yeah Nancy for the cute skirt! I think I might make one for me, and one for Jane.

alissa said...

Seriously Nancy, that skirt is adorable! I really like how you have the little band of stripes running vertically in between the two horizontal stripes (did that make sense???). And I love how your daughter is posing with her arms stretched out - what a cutie!

Rebecca Irvine said...

This is darling. I am looking forward to your tutorial because I think I could handle this type of project with my limited sewing abilities.

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I love that skirt! I have several "
Frantically working...but must do tutorial!" projects. I totally know how that goes! Love the ruffle on the bottom. Perfect!

Jenglamgirl said...

WAY TO GO~ Darling, and your daughter looks proud and happy.

p.s. i FEATURED you on this skirt on my craft blog~ Craftomaniac.blogspot.com Hope that is ok with you. Jenn

Glenna's Garden said...

I love that skirt. Very adorable. Wow taffy. I haven't had any of that lately (years) actually. It would be so great to have some real taffy!

Kim said...

You don't know me... I just wanted to say what a cute skirt. I want to make tomorrow even though I should be packing for a trip.

Steph said...

I am so excited to come this summer...we definitely need to add one of these to our craft list! I love it! I would love one just the same for myself!

Yea for Hallie! And, what a little fashionista...I love her shoes too!!

pam said...

The skirt turned out great! Good for you and happy for Hallie.

Megan B ♥ said...

You're hilarious! And amazing. That skirt is fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that I would actually wear it myself. In about 20 sizes larger.