Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hot Diggity

Last Fall when I visited my sister Becky she had a surprise waiting for me.  These three little condiment bottles were her gift to me.  She had heard me say before that I wanted some, so when she saw these she snatched them up.  Tonight we had hot dogs for dinner, and I decided it was high time to fill my fancy holders, and I'm so glad I did.  They made regular old hot dogs a fancy treat.  The mayo one was a little tricky to fill, but it was totally worth the mess because now I can officially pretend I work at Subway.  Because, quite frankly, who doesn't want to pretend they work at Subway?  It's the small things in life that make me happy.


I also had to try out this coleslaw recipe that my friend Kathy sent me.  Any excuse to shred some cabbage in my Cuisinart is a good enough excuse for me.  I don't know why, but stuffing cabbage to it's sheer shredded doom constitutes a fun time in my book (I don't know what that says about me).  Maybe I could get a job shredding things someday.

Anyway I thought this recipe was worth sharing, and since Kathy hasn't yet jumped on the blog bandwagon (she's totally holding out on us all because she's as cute and crafty as they come) I offered to share it for her.  She said it's from a BBQ joint in Memphis, sounds legit enough to me.  And I can vouch for its taste, it's really good.  Hallie tasted a bite and said, "it's better than Kentucky!"  At first I wasn't sure what she meant, and then I realized she was talking about the Cole Slaw at Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I decided that was probably the best compliment I could give it because I actually really like the Cole Slaw at KFC.

Here's the Complete Recipe



Corky's Coleslaw
1 lb or 1 medium head cabbage - shredded
2 medium carrots - shredded
1/2 green bell pepper, corded, seeded & finely diced
3 Tbsp grated onion
fresh green onion - to taste

Dressing:
2 c mayo
¾ c granulated sugar
1/4 c Dijon mustard
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Celery seed (or more - go by look)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper

Soak cabbage in sugar water for 15 minutes - dry well and towel dry.
Toss dressing and cabbage together about 1/2 hour before serving.
Serves 10

Now I didn't put the onions or bell pepper because I didn't have them, but I quite liked it without them.  And I didn't soak my cabbage in sugar water either.  I also found that you didn't need quite as much dressing as it called for, and could cut back on the Mayo a bit.  Other than that I followed the recipe.  And, strange as it may seem I even tried some Cole Slaw straight up on a hot dog.  I've seen Alton Brown do that before and wanted to try it.  It was tasty, but I think in the future I'll keep my Cole Slaw on the side and stick to my usual.
  

9 comments:

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

How fun- what a nice sister! The only thing that could possibly make it better is having a bottle for fry sauce (my kids are officially addicted- they will only eat fries if I make fry sauce. Healthy huh?). Can't wait to try the coleslaw.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Very cute bottles! It would make dinner fun to have those.

The coleslaw looks yummy. However, I am always partial to my moms -- she adds crushed pineapple.

Debbie Jean said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE coleslaw on my hotdog!!! I am from the south and that's the way we did it!!! Yummy!!! Now I want a slaw dog!! LOL..

God Bless~
Debbie Jean

Becky said...

I was thinking about those condiment bottles just the other day "I wonder if Nancy really uses those?" Ha! Excellent timing my dear! Your post is cracking me up! And Hallie with the "This is better than Kentucky" line is killing me. How many kids here age know their cole slaw? Ha! I love slaw and I will try this out soon :)

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

That's right...who doesn't want to pretend they work at subway! I have to get up at 6 every morning and be "Subway," for my husband, so I totally need to find a set of these for sure! :)

Laura said...

The coleslaw looks delicious. I've never heard of putting it on a hot dog. And those bottles...too cute!

Dawn said...

I LOVE hot dogs and those condiment bottles would definately top my list as well. I know what you mean about working at Subway (it's like wanting glasses when you're a kid). Hope to see you soon!

Debbie Jean said...

I wanted to let you know, I received my very tasty taffy today!! Thank you so much!! I will eat it slowly, so it doesn't run out to fast!!! I love that flavor. I bet banana would be good too!! Again thanks Nancy, it made my day, month, season, year!!!

God Bless~
Debbie Jean

pam said...

Your pictures are so pretty. You are making me hungry.