Saturday, May 1, 2010

Silhouette Tutorial





I was going to post this project next week, but decided that it would make a great Mother's Day gift for Moms or Grandmothers, so I thought I'd put it up today.  I started out wanting to make this small silhouette of Hallie to use as a hair thing holder.  I still might, and if I do that I'll simply attach a long ribbon to the back and then use that to clip hair flowers and bows onto (I'll be sure and take some pictures when I do).  But when Dallas saw me making this for Hallie he wanted one too.  Of course his won't have the hair ribbon attached, but I figured I could still hang them next to each other in the bathroom for decoration.  Now I know that I in no way invented this silhouette making process, but I just like to share what I make, and lately how I make them.  That way if you're so inclined to make one you'll know the process.

Here goes.

I used these fairly small oval shaped pieces of decorative wood.  They have these everywhere, but I bought these particular ones at Hobby Lobby for $0.99 (although they were on sale for 30% off so they were more like $0.70.


And really all the only other supplies you'll need are patterned scrapbook paper (one 12X12 sheet was plenty for these two and probably would have made three) a black piece of cardstock, some craft paint, and Mod Podge.  I also finished mine up with two coats of Triple Thick, but you wouldn't necessarily need that step.

First you'll want to paint your wood.  You just need to paint the outside area since you'll be adding the scrapbook paper.  I used about two coats of this black Ceramcoat acrylic paint.


While your paint is drying you can make your silhouettes.  I snapped these pictures of my kids on Friday before they left for school.  They aren't that great of pictures, and they don't need to be.  You just need a profile shot that you can print and cut out.  I just printed them on my home printer on regular paper.  


Then take some scissors and cut around their little profile.  


Now I turned mine over because I wanted my end result to be facing left, but it doesn't really matter which way they face.  Once you get your silhouettes cut take a white crayon and etch/trace around them.  It doesn't have to be perfect because this can be the back side of your silhouette. 


Once you etch/trace around the silhouette it will look like this. Can you tell I used a different picture of Hallie for the end silhouette?  Also I had to carve her a neck since she was wearing a turtleneck and holding her head strangely. 


Then when you remove the picture you can see where you need to cut your silhouette. Take scissors and cut out the silhouette on the inside of your crayon markings. 


Once you have your silhouette cut out you need to cut out your patterned paper to fit the inside of your wood.  


Now use some Mod Podge to glue down your paper.  I usually paint the Mod Podge directly onto the wood, and then fit my piece of paper on top of that.  Make sure you let each step completely dry before doing another coat, you don't want your paper to buckle.  Once your bottom layer has dried then attach the silhouettes the same way, let that dry and then put a coat of Mod Podge over the entire surface of the silhouette.  


You could certainly stop at this step, but I wanted mine to have a more glass like exterior so I put two coats of Triple Thick.  But I let the first coat dry over night before I put a second because you really don't want to make your paper buckle.  


I love the way these turned out.  Probably because I love seeing my little munchkins' faces on them.  I know I will treasure these for the rest of my life.  I love how NieNie does new ones every year, I think that's a great tradition.  I don't even think I spent $4 to make these, so they certainly are an inexpensive gift that Moms or Grandmas will cherish! 


10 comments:

pam said...

Your childrens' sillouettes turned our really cute. I have one of myself from when I was a child, I just don't know where it is, probably in a box somewhere! I guess I should try to find it. I also made some of you and your siblings when you were young, but I never mounted them and they probably didn't survivie the move. They were just the black construction paper. I wish I still had them.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Nancy, these are darling. Great idea for mother's day. I wonder if it would work as a primary gift to send home? Maybe if they were just mounted on more cardstock instead of wood...

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

Just found your blog and so glad i did! Your kids profile turned out super cute thanks for sharing the tut i plan on making some of my girls!

BTW i am a follower :)

The Peach.... said...

very cool idea! I am going to try these!

Mod Podge Amy said...

LOVE! And yes, I have a Google Alert sent me any Mod Podge posts on blogs so I can keep up with the latest! ;p

Becky said...

Awesome, Nance! Love them.

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Very cute! I've been wanting to try these and your tutorial is great! The hardest part will be getting my kids to sit still for a silhouette picture! (Saw you at Finding Fabulous).

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb ….I found your blog thru Strut your Stuus thurs...I love your tutorial..Grat job!
I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Remodelaholic said...

This is such a great little tutorial! So nice and easy to follow! I would love to feature it if you are interested, let me know! Thanks
Cassity @ Remodelaholic

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Hi, Nancy. I'd like to feature your tutorial in "Future Project Friday" on my blog. I hope that's ok and that you'll have a chance to stop by and check it out!

http://happybabydesigns.blogspot.com