Sunday, May 23, 2010

Save the Date

When I was a kid my Mom had a desk in our kitchen, and on her desk was her calendar.  Whenever we had an event or party that we needed to go to and told her about it she'd say, "put it on the calendar."  And if we ever forgot about something it was because we forgot to put it on the calendar.  Well my Mom had 6 kids, and I only have 2, so for the most part I've been able to keep things straight without a calendar.  But I decided it would be a good idea for all of us if this Mom had a calendar, so I got one.  Of course I had to get the white board version to satisfy my fixation with writing on the board.  My friends that grew up with me know I had a chalk board, and white board in my bedroom, and I still think there's nothing better than, "writing on the board."  I found this one at Wal-Mart, I think it was only $10 which I'd say was a steal.

I also pulled out this old clip board of sorts that my friend Stephanie made for me many years ago.  In Arizona it hung in my red kitchen, and I would put the kids artwork, or wedding invitations, or anything that I wanted to see often onto it.  But the red doesn't so much go with my kitchen anymore, so I decided to repaint and cover it with  patterned scrapbook paper.


This clip board would be really easy to make.  You would just need a board, any size you want, and some of these bull clips.  I googled them and you can find them many places, but I thought the easiest of which was Staples (the office supply store).


I simply painted my board, since I was covering it with paper there was no need to paint the entire board.  Then I cut out paper to fit, and punched holes where my screws needed to go.  Be careful when you use Mod Podge with scrapbook paper, it's easy to get air bubbles, so make sure you give it plenty of dry time in between coats.  Then I screwed the bull clips back on and it was ready to hang on my wall.  The calendar itself was easy to hang (especially if you have your husband do it :) and came with all of the hardware you need to do so.  


This really isn't the best picture, yesterday was cloudy, and there's not a lot of natural light near this wall.  But you get the idea.  These clips won't remain bare for very long, my Hallie's favorite thing to do is put her artwork up on the fridge, I'm hoping she'll adjust to the move to this wall.  

I also made some magnets to go on the calendar with these little scrapbook embellishments I bought.  They had a sticky back that I removed and used some epoxy to glue on magnets.  After drying over night I put them up on my calendar, I think they are really cute, and made inexpensive magnets.  


I was thinking it would be fun to have magnets to put up for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays.  I'm keeping my eye out for something to make those out of.  

Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

this is awesome!!! I'm in the process right now of making a calendar/schedule/chore chart for my family. this had truly inspired me! GREAT JOB!

Rebecca Irvine said...

This is darling. If my mom would not get offended by my not using the calendar she buys me every Christmas then I would definitely be switching over to this. I could do the clamp board though...

pam said...

What a cute way to remind the family of all the goings on. The problem with your mother's callender was not that we forgot to put things on it, but rather that we forgot to look at it after things had been entered there. Thus we missed some of the occasions.

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Oh i love this! The magnets are way cute!