Friday, May 21, 2010

Sandwiches: A Non Recipe

Okay so this may seem like a random post, and it probably is, but we put these sandwiches together for dinner the other night and I wanted to share.  If you want to know the truth this was the dinner I pulled together after making my rolled flowers the other day (I needed something quick because my kids were starving and Mom had been ignoring them for too long).

Maybe this wouldn't exactly be considered a recipe, but more of a method that turned out well enough to share.

Here's how I made my sandwich.  Take two slices of bread, and spread Ranch dressing on one half topped with cheddar cheese, and then put them both into the toaster oven (if you don't have a toaster oven use your oven on broil, but watch it carefully) until the cheese is melted and the toast is browned.


Then remove from the toaster oven and add ham and sliced tomatoes (with a sprinkle of Kosher salt on top of the tomatoes)  Then put your sandwich together, cut in half and enjoy.  We had some turkey bacon leftover from our "breakfast dinner" last night (can you tell I'm really into cooking this week?) and I think I'll make another one of these today for lunch with the added turkey bacon, yum!



But Dallas is more of a pepperoni than ham fan (go figure, they are made from the same animal) so for his sandwich we used Ranch dressing again, covered with mozzarella and pepperoni and then into the toaster oven.  This turned out to be a great pizza sandwich.  You could use marinara sauce, but try the Ranch, it's yummy.



The whole time I was quickly snapping pictures (that explains the quality, I need some lessons from Alissa) of this sandwich making process Hallie was saying, "stop taking pictures of my food, I'm starving!"  But I politely ignored her and snapped a few anyway.  That's how I parent and blog at the same time.  I know, I'm a multi tasker, you should see me eat while watching TV.  Good thing Travis wasn't home because he thinks I've really lost it when I photograph my food.  Some day he'll understand.

While we're on the subject of food I wanted to show you these roasted almonds I'm obsessed with.  I discovered these at Sam's Club last week, they're Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, and they are divine.  If you like almonds, and you like chocolate then you'll love these.  They kind of taste like almonds roasted in hot cocoa mix.  They have to be somewhat good for you, right?  They're not chocolate covered, just roasted in cocoa, but they taste really chocolaty, and satisfy your craving for a sweet (just a handful a day).

7 comments:

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Thank you. You just saved my day! I'm starving and had no idea what to make for lunch (although it's only 10am) :)

Rebecca Irvine said...

Those sandwiches look great. Today I am making up my summer breakfast and lunch menu (I have a menu for each weekday so the kids don't argue with me about what they want to eat). I think I will add these sandwiches for one of the lunches. Yum, and thanks for the inspiration!

Toni said...

Yum! That looks like a definite summer lunch.

Hey, when you have a minute, go to my blog, and then to go my blogroll on the right. Check out "Yea, I Made It." That's my up and coming crafty 11 year old daughter Caitlin. She started that blog to showcase her DIY projects. :) And SHE LOVES YOU. Reads your blog all of the time. Leave her some love, would ya? :)

Thanks Nancy!!

Jill Bagley said...

mmmmm this post is making me hungry!!
i just love your blog Nancy!! and i love you.
wish we could get together more!!
i have a friend out here that i met, and she reminds me of you. she makes all kinds of cool stuff and a really great cook. her blog is limegardenias.blogspot.com. and she is a fabric designer. you would love her. her name is MO.( short for Maureen) .
miss ya!!

alissa said...

Hi Nancy - Thanks for the blog love! So sweet of you.

Great idea on the sandwiches. The ranch dressing sounds really good. And the almonds - oh my! YUM! It would really be dangerous for me to have those around - I think I could eat 1/2 the jar in one sitting!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

yum. those cocoa almonds look so yummy! i want to go to sam's today to buy some! yum-my!

I am your newest follower! cute blog!

pam said...

Your sandwiches and almonds look delicious. I do love almonds and chocolate. Sadly though I am still eating soft food. The chocolate roasted almonds would play havoc with the holes in my mouth where my wisdom teeth used to be!