Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rolled Flower Tutorial: Nancy Style

Are you ready for this?  I'm so excited to show you what I've been working on this afternoon.  I've been perusing the Internet for felt flowers lately.   There are so many great, cute felt flowers out there, and I wanted to figure out how to make some.  I decided to go with a rolled flower.  Nothing new there, but I decided to go all Emeril on them and KICK IT UP A NOTCH.


BAM!  


Okay so I'm a nerd, and I love the Food Network (even though I don't think Emeril is even on it anymore).  But that really has nothing to do with my felt flowers, I'm just excited, can you tell?  Now that you've seen how beautiful they turn out, here's a complete tutorial on how to make them.

Nancy's Rolled Fabric Flower Tutorial


Okay so the only rolled flowers I've seen are pure felt, but you know about my obsession with fabric, so I had to add some quilting fabric to add texture and pattern.  I chose an array of felt and coordinating fabrics (I just bought some fat quarters).  I think these would be really cool with contrasting fabrics too, but for now I decided to coordinate.


Then I cut my felt and fabrics into squares.  Most of these are 6X6 inch squares, but a few are a little smaller because some of the felt squares I bought were smaller.  Any size square will do, but I'd make it at least 5X5.  I keep thinking it would really be fun to make some big ones (wouldn't they look great on throw pillows?).  In due time, I will of course. But for now this is the size I went with.  


Now head to the sewing machine.  What you're going to do is put your machine on your zig zag stitch, and sew and turn your fabric so that you get a spiral.  I started from the outside and moved inward, like this.  (Okay so if you're not a sewer, I really think you could accomplish the same thing with a glue gun.  Just put a spiral of glue on and glue your fabrics together and then go from there.  Or you could even iron your two fabrics together with wonder under and then cut out your spiral).





Stop when you get a complete spiral (and as always I can hear my Mother's voice in the back of my head saying, "don't forget to back stitch!"  That will keep your stitches from coming out).  If you were worried about how your spiral was going to turn out you could draw it onto the felt side with a marker, but I prefer to just do it free hand.  I'm a rebel like that.  It does not have to be perfect, and you can experiment with the size and distance between each line of stitching.

Now cut our your spiral with some fabric scissors following your stitches.  Like this. 


Then take the spiral and roll starting with the outer edge, and use your glue gun to glue as you roll to hold it together.


Glue and roll, glue and roll. 


Keep going.  



Then when you're almost done put a good amount of glue on the bottom, and fold over the last of the fabric.


The back should look like this.  


And the front will look like this.  TA DA! Oh man I'm in love with these, can you tell?


Is your mind moving a mile a minute?  Mine is.  There are so many great things you could make with these little beauties.  Hair things, brooches, corsages; you could put them on pillows, shirts, sweaters, purses, lamp shades, magnets, curtains, pizza (just kidding, is anyone still reading this?).  The possibilities are endless, and you'd better believe that in the days to come I'm going to be making tons of things with these. And as always I promise to take you along for the ride.  



48 comments:

Lisalulu said...

these are amazing! ! ! and qyute a "spin" on the usual flowers we see on the net.. first prize to you!

emily snyder said...

okay! i want to be you. can you give tutorials for that too??

i especially LOVE this tutorial for flowers because i attempted making some a while ago and they were disastrous!! but these, i feel like i really could do!

LOVE, em

Caitlin said...

so so so cute! gonna try 'em!

Summer Miller said...

These are beautiful. I love them and would love to try them out myself. Thanks for sharing.

Toria said...

great job Nancy!
Very cute. I may just make some tonight for Ivy's hair!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

very cute idea! I am OBSESSED with fabric flowers right now, and I like this one a lot!

nestug said...

these are very cute and lovely colours
love nestug

alissa said...

Adorable Nancy! They couldn't be any cuter.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE these!! Too cute!! Love the addition of the fabric. It really makes the flowers pop!

Army Wife Quilter said...

How easy is that and the colors so cheerful great project. love it!

Brittany said...

Love them--especially now that I have my girl.
Hey--is your husband doing the stake father/son campout? if you aren't doing anything already, maybe we can go out to eat or something! Call me!

Claire said...

great job, nancy! i'm going to make some hair clips for my girls, as well as cover a few scatter cushions with these beauties. thanks!

The Peach.... said...

these are absolutely adorable, now what are you going to do with them :)....headband? Do share!

Becky said...

Awesome flowers, awesome tutorial! (Bam! I loved that!) So cute and can't wait to see some pics with little Miss Hallie wearing them.

Fawnda said...

These flowers are too cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

Dawn said...

LOVE em! You rock. I like the added texture with the felt and fabric. Can't wait to see what you do with them! So fun to see you yesterday. Wish we could do it more often. Hopefully summer time will give us that opportunity. Tatym and Hallie were so cute together. Thanks for another awesome tutorial!

Donene said...

Oh, sooo cute! I love the added felt for dimension.

Katie said...

Great combinations Fancy Nancy! They don't call you that for nothing!

Laura said...

you are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. You really should write a book, no joke! Check out this necklace at Boden.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Accessories/Jewellery/AK159/Womens-Corsage-Flower-Necklace.html?NavGroupID=1

you could make this no problem and maybe make one for me too:)
Like I said you are amazing.

pam said...

Cute! Nancy. Can't wait to see what you put them on.

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

These are super cute!!!

I would love it if you would link up to my party on Friday!

www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Ela@lifeinmypjs.com said...

These are super cute! What a great idea =)

Laura said...

These are just awesome! I can't wait to make some myself.

I'm hosting a blog party tomorrow and I'd love it if you linked up!
http://www.iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

I am totally making some to put on a pizza right now.

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

BAM! Perfect for this project!:) They turned out great! I love the colors and fabric you chose-great project!

malia said...

wow-- great idea and photos... thanks for sharing!

Robyn said...

I'm going to second the "BAM!" comment! GREAT job, love the mix of pattern with the felt! Glad i saw this at DIY!

Chris said...

Love the eye catching colors. Great idea.

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

I love these to much!!!

Where did you find the amazing colors of felt?!?! I can't find much except the basic run of the mill colors...these are great felt colors!

If you don't mind, could you put a link or my button on your site somewhere so others can join in on the fun too? Thanks.

Thanks for linking up at my link party! Hope to see you next week!

~Ashley @ www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Becolorful said...

What a great tutorial with wonderful images. I can think of so many things to do with these flower roll ups.
Thanks for sharing.
Pam

Em @ Bunch of Scrap said...

OMG those are DELICIOUS! BEST rolled flower tutorial EVER! Thanks! Please link up to my link party too!

http://bunchofscrap.blogspot.com/2010/05/scrappy-saturday-52210-and-giveaway.html

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

These are so scrumptious looking, love the colors and fabrics! Thanks for linking up to the under $100 party!

Heather said...

Love the fabric added to these great idea so cute!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

love these! putting them my never ending to do list! thanks so much for the great tut!

Megan B ♥ said...

Wow, you actually made this look easy. Though I'm more of a pineapple and mushroom purist for my pizzas :) These would be REALLY cute on a hair band!

Laura said...

I'm loving these!! I just wanted you to know that I featured this on my blog. Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day @ along for the ride!!

Foundinthe-ALI said...

So cute and easy! I love the backing with felt because it makes it look more dimensional than the others ive seen.

i was going to joann's to get some fabric for something else when i got sidetracked by your blog. So glad I did because I will be picking up some more fabric :)

*follow*

Ali
http://foundintheali.blogspot.com

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

These are adorable! I'm going to try these using the wonder under method and link back to you when i do! What a great tute and a cute blog! I'm your newest follower!

Krissa said...

im so addicted to your blog right now...OMG!!! i love your tutorials...this is bad very bad...
okay so its a bit of time after you made these flowers...did you do anything with them...like use them on pillows or something...i wanna see...
haha
oh gosh..i love you and your craftiness!!!

Amnah said...

You've got to be kidding me. These are amazing. I wish I had a mind that allowed me to come up with new and unique ways of changing things up. So great.

FancieStrands said...

Love these. On my "list of to makes". Thanks for sharing.

ke123h said...

Oh I just discovered these on pinterest, but I hate to sew! I am a fabric/paper flower freak and these are awesome!

bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com said...

What a fun and easy technique. Thanks for sharing!!

Savannah said...

Absolutely LOVE these! I went out and bought the materials today, and made two this evening... they're awesome! Thanks for the tutorial - check out the finished project on my blog :)

Laura Jolicoeur said...

Love your site. These felt flowers are so beautiful! Great idea, they look awesome!

Calliope said...

I must say, I'm more of a garlic chicken girl but these are a great tutorial. I've been looking all over the internet and I found these- will definitely try making some, thanks! K

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me so! These are beautiful! Can't wait to get started. I am so glad I stopped by my classroom during Spring Break yesterday and grabbed by glue gun!

Melissa

liliana said...

cosi sono ancora piĆ¹ belle lili