Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Katie!

I figured the only way for my cute sister Katie to see her birthday present from me on her actual birthday was for me to post a picture of it.  Because today is her birthday, and this necklace is still sitting on my kitchen table.  What can I say?  I'm busy, and procrastinated this.  I knew I wanted to make Katie a present, but held off on exactly what until I came up with this. I hope she likes it!


I made this flower "bib necklace" using some of my rolled flowers, and other various fabric flowers.  The silver tulle necklace is made like this, and the other two are flowers I've seen around, but never posted a tutorial on.  I used some Swarovski crystal beads that I had from a vintage necklace that once belonged to my Grandmother.  I figured that added to the sentimentality of this piece, plus I love the sparkle it adds.

I first made the flowers, then laid them out on my kitchen table until I came up with an arrangement that I liked.


Then I hand sewed each flower onto a piece of felt, and cut the felt out so that you wouldn't see it behind the flowers.

Then I made some straps out of the same blue fabric that I use on the flowers, and sewed some toggles on them for a clasp.


Of course I had to try it on, just to make sure it worked okay.  I didn't wear it anywhere, I promise.  


I hope you like this Kate, I promise it's on its way tomorrow. Happy Birthday! 

11 comments:

Sandra said...

That is adorable. I'd love one too. ;-)

Angela said...

Very cute, Nanc! Are you sunburned?

The Peach.... said...

Who ARE YOU?! SO CREATIVE! I am dying over this......I love the tulle flower, have you done a tutorial on that? This is amazing...I want one! You should start an etsy boutique!

Katie Richardson said...

Nancy, you are the absolute BEST! I can't wait to wear it this summer! It will be just the right touch to so many outfits.

Thank You!!!!!

pam said...

Love your gift for Katie. I really like the crystals from Gandma's necklace too, nice touch. I am sure Katie will enjoy her birthday present.

Jacque said...

nancy, that is so beautiful! i love all the sparkles and interesting flowers!

Amanda said...

Very pretty! Found you on New Friend Friday. Thanks for sharing!

malia said...

colorful and stylish! visiting from nff

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Very cute! I love the colors!

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

So adorable! I heart your blog! This is my first time stopping by and I'm so glad I did!

Stop by craftsandsutch.blogspot.com when you get a chance to peek at my new blog!

P.S. I'm your newest follower! :)

Erin :)

Ashley said...

Cute Nancy! It's always fun to see the present before you actually get it.