Monday, April 19, 2010

A little flip-flop bling

Since my kids were on Spring Break last week there wasn't a lot of time for crafting, we were too busy playing. But I did manage to squeeze in one little project that I wanted to show you. Since the weather has finally cleared up (can you believe we get Spring snow in Utah? Crazy). I took the kids to pick out some Summer shoes. Hallie wanted some flip flops, so we got her some cheap ones at Target (2 pairs for $5) and decided to bling them up a bit. Here's the results.


I made some of my fabric flowers to go on top of the flip flops, and then used some ruffly ribbon on this pair. I found this houndstooth felt at Hobby Lobby for $0.50 and thought it would make a fun flower, and I love that it's felt and won't fray. Then I used a button in the middle instead of a bead. This ruffly ribbon was also from Hobby Lobby. I simply used my glue gun to apply the ribbon and flower. Okay so upon further review the hot glue doesn't hold so well. You'll need a stronger epoxy glue. I'm going to try a few out and let you know what works. But don't worry about the Gem Tac (you'll see that further down) it definitely works, and I have tested that for sure. I found this glue at Joann.com but will have to see if you can purchase it in the store. I'll let you know.

Then on the other pair I decided to use some rhinestones. I'm kind of in love with the rhinestones myself. In fact I've done this on flip flops for me before (minus the flower) with Swarovski crystal rhinestones and loved the effect (and got a lot of compliments on them too).


Here's a close up of the rhinestones, aren't they pretty?


I just bought these cheap rhinestones at Wal-Mart, but a word of caution, if you do a lot like I did you may need two bags. I put 14 rows of 3 rhinestones on each side of the flip flop, that's 168 rhinestones and each pack comes with 145. If I would have figured it out ahead of time I could have made the one bag work. Oh well.


To apply the rhinestones I used Gem Tac. I got the Gem Tac at MJ Trim online, but you might be able to find it in some craft stores. Then I also got these tweezers to pick up and apply the rhinestones with, I think it would be hard to do this without them. They were also from MJ Trim.


I'm no expert, but the fastest way I've found to apply the rhinestones is to put the Gem Tac directly onto the shoe's strap, spread it evenly with your finger, and then use your tweezers to put the rhinestones on. It might look a little messy, but I promise it all dries clear (make sure to let it dry over night).


Before it dries it will look like this.


But after it dries it will be clear, like this.


This is such a simple and fun project, and your little one will love the results!

16 comments:

Jenglamgirl said...

So darling!!! I would love to feature these on my craft blog this Friday.. for Feature Friday! Jenn

Becky said...

Cute, cute, Nance! And so many possibilities! I just saw some rainbow sparkley flip flops at Target that Sophie wanted. . .I'll be on the lookout for rhinestones in every color!

And I do remember your fancy flip flops. You're a diamonds on the souls of your shoes kinda girl!

Joy said...

Why are you so talented! You actually make me want to make these, and I am not that crafty!!!

Laura said...

I've said it before and I will say it again, you are awesome! I would love to make these but I barely get shoes on everyone these days.
ps my word verification is tater:)

The Peach.... said...

Hi there, it's Joy's sister again, Adrienne, and these are so cute!!! She passed me your link.....
How do you make those flowers? They are darling! Is there a tutorial for those? They look simple and not too "ruffly".....

The Peach.... said...

Never mind, I just found your "fabric flower tutorial"....it is fabulous! I am going to give it a whirl!

Beth Eaton said...

These are adorable! I made some the other day with ribbon and a flower but I'm loving the rhinestone look! I may have to make a run and get the supplies to make me some!!

Lynette said...

Those are way cute!

Aisyah Helga said...

Very cute and easy,too! I'll be linking this tutorial to my blog tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

So are the green and yellow ones to match the family reunion shirt?

pam said...

Love your dolled up flipflops. They tempt me to make some, but you know how I am with that part between my toes. I'll have to doll up something else. Hope Hallie appreciates them.

The Mommalogues said...

I love them! That must be the "new thing" because I started making them for my daughter too! I plan on posting the ones I attempted! EEK! LOL! You will have to come check them out if ya get a chance!

Jackie said...

I love this idea!! Will definately be making some for my little girls. . .ok. . .some for me too:)

FrouFrouBritches said...

Those are so stinkin' cute! I want some!!!

Tere said...

too cute! my girls would love those! i'll have to keep this idea in my someday file.

Anonymous said...

Hi, we would like to possibly feature your project in the Beacon Adhesives Trade Show Booth at this upcoming 2011 CHA Show. Please call me - John Burns @ 800-865-7238 X307