Friday, April 30, 2010

Jewelry Display Tutorial from My 30 Days Post

So I know you probably checked out my tutorial over at 30 Days, but I wanted to re post it so that I could have it on my blog too.  I'm so glad that everyone loves them, the response has been great.  When Mique asked me to guest post I jumped at the chance, but very quickly started worrying about coming up with something good to post about.  I came up with this jewelry display around 2:00 a.m.one night while I lay awake trying to come up with something.  Do ideas come to you guys that way?  I have lots of notes on weird ideas I get in the middle of the night, lately they end up on my iPhone, because it's the closest thing to me, and I don't even have to turn on the light and wake Travis up. But I was glad this turned out in real life as good as it seemed in my head.  Many times my ideas are better in my head.  Once when I was a teenager I woke my sister Katie up in the middle of the night to let me braid her hair.  I was just sure I had come up with a new and inventive way to braid hair.  So she, only half awake, complied with her crazy sister.  After I braided her hair I decided nope, it wasn't new or inventive.  Just a same old braid.  So I let her go back to sleep.  I don't think she'll ever let me live that down. Sometimes I wish Katie was still just down the hall.  I think she gets my crazy creative streak a little more than my husband, and his hair is way too short to braid:)  Anyway weird childhood stories aside, here's the tutorial.

For my guest post today I turned to the crafty part of my brain, and came up with this jewelry display concept. It was so simple to make, and turned out even better than I imagined. I hope you'll feel free to make a version of this to enjoy for yourself. Here's a picture of the finished product to spark your interest, and then I'll walk you through the steps of how to put one together.

Here are some close up shots.


Now it's about to become very apparent to you that I have a deeply ingrained love of jewelry. All the women in my family do, and it goes back multiple generations. So to say I have a fair amount of jewelry is a bit of an understatement. So I love that this jewelry hanger proudly displays my jewelry where I can see and enjoy it rather than having it tucked away in a drawer somewhere. If you're looking for function over form this may not be the jewelry hanger for you, but if you love to have your jewelry out and display it almost as a piece of art then you're going to love this. Here are a few more versions that I made.

These two are table top versions, and are purely to display rings.


This one is also a tabletop display, but can be used for rings and bracelets together.

Here is another hanging display, and is the same as the first only with different paper and paint.

Okay so are you as in love with these as I am? Want to learn how to make one for yourself? They are so easy, I promise. Here's how I did it.


First there's a few items you will need from the craft store (I shopped at Michael's): some craft wood that has nice routed edges, wooden dowels, scrapbook paper, Mod Podge, (I used the paper kind in the matte finish) paint, (I used craft paint for the edges of the main piece and spray paint for the dowels) and a paint brush or sponge brush. And from the hardware store I picked up these cup hooks, they are the little screws with hooks on the end that you can see in the first picture. While you're at the hardware store you might see about having your dowels cut to size. I had my Father-In-Law trim mine in his wood shop, but don't be afraid to ask at the hardware store. Also I pre drilled my holes for the cup hooks, but learned that this was an unnecessary step because once I put the paper on I could no longer tell where the holes were, and had to re drill. So learn from my mistake and don't bother pre drilling. And if you want to make the hanging version of this jewelry display you'll need a picture hanger thing as well (I have a picture of this further down).

First up you'll need to take your craft paint and paint around the edge of your wooden piece. I probably did 4-5 coats to make it look nice. You don't need to paint the whole thing because your paper will cover most of it. Then you'll need to measure and cut your paper to fit the inside of the wood.


After you've got your paper cut to fit simply Mod Podge it on. I poured a fair amount of the Mod Podge onto my wood and spread it out with my brush. I have found the paper less likely to bubble by putting the Mod Podge onto the wood as opposed to the back of the paper. Then take your hand and smooth out any air bubbles. Let this dry completely.


Now you'll want to put a couple of coats of Mod Podge


Once you have your holes drilled you can take your cup hooks and screw them into place (you just screw these in by hand into the holes you've already made). These will hold your dowels which will in turn hold your jewels. Here it is with the dowels in place.

And now you've got your very own jewelry hanger and display. Do you love it? I do. (Can you tell I'm excited about these?) Anyway I hope you love these as much as I do. I love making jewelry almost as much as I love wearing it, and pretty much made all of the bracelets and necklaces you see in my displays. Here's a tutorial on my blog for making some of the necklacesAnd here's a tutorial for a travel jewelry case for when you take those fancy vacations this Summer. Stop by to say hi or ask any questions, and let me know what you think about this. I'd love to hear from you !

Visit thecsiproject.com

18 comments:

Jacque said...

nancy, those are gorgeous! and such a great idea, too! i'm so glad you share all your creative expertise with us!

stacey said...

Hi Nancy! Angela's friend Stacey, here. I could have used this a month ago. I built one out of crk board, scrapbook paper and those screws and ribbon. I think I might try yours. The dowels make all the difference. Love it.

Jenn said...

OK! You are seriously so talented! I love all of your tutorials!
Have a delightful day!
Jenn
{redberrybarn.blogspot}

Jan said...

How great are these?! I've seen lots of jewelry holders floating around in bloggyland and yours is BY FAR my favorite!! My jewelry is sitting in plastic bins right now (how BORING), so I think I may give this a try! Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!

Stopping by from Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap-up Party!

Chocolate Sundaes said...

super cute idea! I'd love for you to link it up http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

Devon! said...

visiting from link up party on tatertots and jello! i love this.
i thought of something for my daughter, but this is way easier!

http://domesticallydevon.blogspot.com/2010/03/tutorial-jewlery-storage-art.html

Sandra said...

Nancy these are so cute.

Crafts and Deals said...

SO CUTE!!! It's different than all the others and by far the cutest!

Dawn said...

I LOVE. You are fantastically gifted. Can I just buy one from you though rather than make my own. Yours always turn out so much cuter!

siti nur fadhilah said...

that was absolutely brilliant! love it. i would like to try it soon. ^^

Siti,Malaysia

Kendra Goodrich said...

What a fun jewelry display. That stand it cute too!

jenjen said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love those so much. You should really sell them. I'd buy one!

XOOX
Jen

Lei said...

I think this is my favorite jewelry hanger so far! Thanks for sharing!

juste venteux said...

Just wanted to letcha know I loved your idea and I linked to this post in my blog!
http://justeventeux.blogspot.com/

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I just love this project!

I would love it if you would link it up to the CSI Project's "Hardware store" challenge. I would love the people over there to see it!

www.thecsiproject.com

XOXO
Jen

Schona Kessler Photography said...

These are seriously too fun! Might have to make one for my little girl. Thanks! Hopped over here from the CSI blog.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I just finished making mine on Friday. You can check it out on my blog and I hope you don't mind but I linked to your tutorial and put one of your pics there in the blog. If you want me to remove it just let me know.
pathb4me.blogspot.com
moehend@yahoo.com

HJC Editor said...

Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/