Sunday, April 11, 2010

It only took ten years

For the group gift at my Bridal shower ten years ago I absolutely had to have a cobalt blue Kitchen Aid. I remember really, really wanting this, and feeling like there was no way that I'd be a very good wife without it (ha!). So my family and friends came through for me, and the cobalt blue Kitchen Aid was mine. I remember trying it out for the first time with a batch of sugar cookies. The thing was they turned out horribly, and I blamed the Kitchen Aid. The dough wasn't sticking together and I couldn't get them to incorporate right. So, basically I gave up.


For a few years I let the blue baby sit out on the counter top looking pretty. But eventually I put it away in a cupboard, and felt like a failure. But ever so slowly I brought it back out and gave it, and me, another chance. The main thing I've used it for in the last few years is pizza dough. I've become comfortable with that. But for some reason this week I decided to give homemade rolls a try. This was my first attempt (on my own, I've helped my Mom before) and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The old girl has held up well, and I was able to make a decent batch of rolls earlier in the week. It has still been a bit cold here so I made ham and potato soup (with my left over Easter ham) and rolls on Thursday.


And this afternoon I made cinnamon rolls. Both were quite tasty.



I went to my favorite food blogger for my recipes. If you haven't heard of Melanie from My Kitchen Cafe, then let me introduce you to her. I don't know her in real life, (but if I did I'm sure we'd be friends) but I'm a big fan of her recipes. For the cinnamon rolls I used this recipe, and for the dinner rolls I used this one. They were both quite easy to follow and will be making repeat appearances at my house.

If only I felt the need to suddenly use my treadmill in the same fashion. Someday oh, someday. Maybe tomorrow since I've filled up on Cinnamon Rolls today.

Don't forget my GIVEAWAY in the post below! Become a follower and sign up, I'll be choosing the winner tomorrow.

8 comments:

alissa said...

Your cinnamon rolls look delicious - and so pretty too! I wish I could eat one right now, yum.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment - I really appreciate it!

The Mommalogues said...

I'm your newest follower! I found your blog from Pink Little Notebook!

Those look YUMMY!

Sarah said...

i love the kitchenaid. glad you've reconnected with yours.

Sarah said...

Mmmm, looks fabulous! I love my Kitchen Aid. It was one of my only wishes for a Wedding Gift when I got married, and I'm so happy I recieved one! Love it! I write over at Blogger Chix Designs about how to help blogs grow their readership. I recently gave out a free report on the subject. Today we are talking about why setting goals for your blog is really helpful. Feel free to check it out if you're interested.
Sarah
http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Nancy - how nice are you? Thanks for the shout out to my blog. Your rolls (cinnamon roll and dinner) look fantastic! And you are right...I'm sure we would be friends, too (except that judging by your amazing jewelry case tutorial below - your talents and darlingness, yes that is a word, far exceed mine!).

pam said...

Well we're back on the internet! Monkeyed around with stuff until it worked. Hope it keeps up. Glad you were successful with your rolls and cinnamon rolls. Now you will have no trouble making some for Adam and Becky's baby blessing celebration.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Okay you are totally inspiring me to finally take the cover off and attempt making something myself. I never ever use mine, ever. The only time it's been turned on is when my mom came out to take care of me while I was on bed rest. Seriously, shameful I know.

Jen Rutter said...

how about the recipe for the soup? I need all the help I can get!