Friday, April 2, 2010

Anatomy of an Easter Table


There's an old saying that goes: “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” I've been trying to live my life a little more by this motto lately. The fact that I grew up with a Mom who, whether she realized it or not, lived completely by this mantra helps a lot in this matter. To say that my Mom was "green" before there was such a thing is an understatement. She is the Queen of reusing, recycling and repurposing in every form of her life. Anyone who knows her can attest to this, and might I add that she's clever enough that those who don't know her would never guess that she is an original Frugalista.

With my Mom and this motto in mind, I have tried to channel my inner Frugalista to help with my upcoming Easter dinner party. I have invited around 25 people over to my house for Easter dinner this coming Sunday, and I have been worrying about my decorations and table settings. Am I the only one who worries about such things? Weird, maybe, but these are the thoughts that plague me. I try my best to throw fabulous parties on a less than fabulous budget, so today I set about thinking about my Easter table decorations, and decided I needed to "make it do" with what I had on hand.

I've seen on a number of blogs people who are making cute little vignettes out of jars and Easter decorations or candy. Now since I'm somewhat like my Mom, I have a lot of jars saved. Yes, when the salsa in the pretty shaped jar is all gone, I save the jar. So I pulled out a number of jars that I liked, and tried to think of what I already had to spruce them up with.


First of all I didn't like the generic lids these shapely jars came with. So I pulled out my handy dandy spray paint, and spruced them up.

Then I put some Easter decorations that I already had into the jars along with some Easter Jellybeans.



I displayed the jars on a fat quarter of fabric that I already had, and just ironed the edges under, no sewing involved.

Then while I had the spray paint out I thought I'd paint a few ceramic birds that I already had, and have been meaning to paint. I think they turned out cute as well.

I'm going to have quite a few Easter tables that need decorating, so I probably won't use this all together the way it is now (or I could on the buffet table). But I like this grouping, and know that I could split it all up to put on individual tables if I want to.

A few things that I have collections of are cake plates and birds, so I pulled some of those out along with Easter decorations that I already had.



I think the only thing new to my Easter collection this year are these giant egg lanterns that I got at a local craft outlet for about $0.75 a piece (and the jellybeans of course, and they were under $1 a bag).

So anyway that's some of my Easter table decorating plan. The goal: make a pretty party with what you've got. I hope I accomplished this, and think that my family and food will do the rest to turn our Easter celebration into a great one.

12 comments:

Toni said...

ADORABLE!! I love how you can look at something ordinary and turn it into something so dang cute!!! And don't worry about stressing and obsessing over throwing parties....I do it ALL of the time! I have been planning our (mine and my husband's) 40th birthday party since last year!!! So I totally get where you are coming from. Keep up the good work!

Megan B ♥ said...

Absolutely fantastic, Nancy. Though I have to giggle that you just happened to have spray paint and a few spare ceramic birds, LOL!

Keith and Lynsi said...

I Love the jar and spray paint idea~ I had to laugh that you said your mom was "green" before it was even cool to be so....I've said that very thing about my mom, so I totally understand! I'm sure it's going to be a great party!

abby said...

nancy, you really are fancy! i think it all looks darling.

Steph said...

So cute! Will you pick me up a few of those egg lanterns if you have a chance? Mine are faded from the sun and I would love to have new ones!

Connie Weiss said...

So cute! You are so creative!

MarySue said...

Still inspiring me. Happy Easter/Conference.

pam said...

Love all your cute decorations. It will be fun to come for Easter dinner with you and your family. You'll have to blame the frugal nature on your grandparents, which is where your mom got that trait.

Stephanie said...

It is amazing isn't it how we have so much stuff we can re-use rather than go out and by new! It looks wonderful and so stylin!

Karla Rauch said...

Could you be anymore creative... I swear! Wow, do you want to come and decorate my house. Love your ideas.

Shauna said...

Are you kidding me?? Seriously, could you be more fabulous??!!! Absolutely ADORABLE!!!

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

I NEED to try using spray paint on something. I see so many people doing creative things with it.

Cute blog...love all your colorful creations.

Stopping by from Fun to Craft