Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Sweets

I asked Travis if he'd watch the Oscars with me tonight since I watched the Super Bowl with him, and he said he would if I'd make him a treat. Well little did he know I was going to make treats anyway, so now I get treats, and a friend to watch the Oscars with: how bad can that be? (hear my inner Ina?)

After perusing Allrecipes.com (one of my favorite online recipe go-tos) I decided to make the classic No Bake Cookies. A friend of mine introduced me to these when I was a little kid. Her Mom would make them, and they called them Tina Cookies. Apparently they had a friend named Tina who liked these cookies a lot. So I got the recipe so my Mom and I could make some Tina cookies ourselves. But I've also heard these called Haystack Cookies (that's my friend Dawn's Mom's name for them) but I think they are most commonly referred to as No Bake Cookies-for obvious reasons, you don't even have to bake them. Maybe we should call them Tina-No-Bakes-In-A-Haystack-Cookies, or TNBIAHC for short. I'm kidding. I'll shut up and give you the recipe.


















No Bake Cookies
Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
3Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 pinch salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
In a saucepan bring the sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and salt to a rapid boil for 1 minute. Add vanilla, peanut butter, and quick cooking oats; mix well. Working quickly, drop by spoonful onto waxed paper, and let cool. Eat, and enjoy!


And please hold back your comments of a certain, uh hem, #2 nature (and know that my hilarious husband already made them for you). These little unphotogenic cookies have a lot of inner beauty that was hard to capture in digital form, I tried my best!

P.S. who do you want to win, Sandra or Meryl? I'm kind of pulling for Sandra even though Meryl was transcendent in Julie & Julia, I think I'd rather see Sandra win. But mostly I'm just watching to see what everyone is wearing. And because it's a good excuse to make cookies!

6 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Go Sandra!

Love these cookies. Anytime peanut butter and chocolate get together it makes me cheer :-).

Megan B ♥ said...

I don't even love cookies and I'll admit you have tempted me.

pam said...

What would anyone expect chocolate to look like? I have had this recipe since I was in primary and we each had a little cookbook with the recipes hand printed by our teacher. I have since lost the little cookbook, but still love the cookies. I use this recipe at Easter to make those chocolate bird's nests. I think they look cute, but your children probably picked out the colorful egg candies and just ate the cookies. I guess they have good taste.

Becky said...

Tina No Bakes! Ha! You make my day with your funny ways and your no bake delights. That pictures is about to spoil my 5 days of picture perfect dieting, too. There is no spinach in that cookie and that's why it looks sooooo darn yummy.

Becky said...

Okay, now that you've watched the Oscar's let's hear your academy award reviews! Who looked hot on the red carpet?

Dawn said...

These cookies take me back in time! I'm with Becky, when are the oscar reviews!! Miss you tons. We need a trip to Gardner Village.