Monday, March 1, 2010

Sunday Snickerdoodles

Without fail come Sunday night everyone at this house needs a treat! So last night we decided upon Snickerdoodle cookies. I haven't made these in a long time, but reminded myself why I like them so much last night. They smell up your whole house with a delicious cinnamony-churro smell while baking, and taste like heaven while eating. A few months back I had a snickerdoodle my friend Erin made, and when I asked her for the recipe she said, it's just the one from that red plaid cookbook. Hey I had that cookbook, the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, I even had the year 2000 Limited Edition! Not that that means anything, except it reminds me that it was a gift from my sweet Mother In Law the year I got married, so that makes it even better.

In case you don't have this cookbook(but doesn't everyone?) here's the recipe.





















SNICKERDOODLES (I'd love to meet the person who thought up that name!)

1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat till combined, scraping sides of bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla till combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Cover and chill 1 hour (so I skipped this step completely and they were awesome without it).

Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar-cinnamon mixture to coat (I also use the bottom of a glass to smash the cookies a bit, I like a skinny cookie, but strangely skinny cookies still make me fat, go figure). Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 oven (next time I'll bake them at 350, I thought they were a tad too crispy) for 10-11 minutes or till edges are golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 2 doz. cookies (the recipe actually says 36 cookies, but ours didn't make near that many, it might have had something to do with Hallie sneaking dough every time I turned around though :).

You'd be proud I even let my kids help (sometimes I'm really anal and have a hard time letting little people put their hands in my cookies) we had an assembly line going and everything. Next time you need a treat give these a try, enjoy!

8 comments:

Emily said...

They look great.

I'm too lazy to email you, so I'll tell you here that Mindy and Sam Payne and Peter Breinholt are doing a charity concert in the Wilk Friday at 7. Tickets are $6 each if you buy six, so that's a possibility if everyone wanted to do that instead of go out to eat. We could grab something at the Cougareat, yo. Or eat at our house. But I'm easy if you'd rather go to a restaurant and skip the concert.

Rebecca Irvine said...

My kids adore snickerdoodles. When my husband makes them he also adds nutmeg. Not my favorite, but definitely not bad.

MarySue said...

Did you guess I love everything SNICKERDOODLES!!!

pam said...

I have been noticing on a couple of food blogs that people have been making snickerdoodle cupcakes. Maybe you could try them. They sound good too.

Dave & Mandi said...

again...salivating! I think those will made a perfect FHE treat tonight!!!

Ashley said...

That recipe is seriously my favorite for snickerdoodles. Now I am craving them!

Megan B ♥ said...

Are they as soft as they look in the picture? I've got a late-night hankerin' for snickerdoodles all of a sudden.

The Smith Family said...

Mmm! Those look delish!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, btw, ad leaving such a sweet comment!
Shelley Smith
houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
wonderfullywordy.blogspot.com