Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shirt Refashion

So I didn't set out to make this "hair accessories week" over at my house, but that's just sort of the way it's gone. I guess I'll take it, roll with it, and blog about it of course. Yesterday I was out for some retail therapy and came across this shirt on the clearance rack.

I bet when you think of adjectives to describe my clothing style in your mind your top three are: slinky, sexy, and sleeveless, right? Okay, so this shirt isn't exactly me, but I thought perhaps it would look cute with a shade underneath, and a shrug over top. We're going to Puerto Rico in June and I need some even more Fancy Nancy clothes for a few of the events. So since this shirt was under $5 on clearance, and fit decently, I picked it up. But when I got home with it I decided instead of wearing it as a shirt it would be cute as a head band. What? I'll show you with this headband tutorial.

I think what drew me to this shirt was the detail work on the collar, it's nicely done, and all the little rhinestones seem to be well intact.


I've recently seen some headbands with similar bead work to this shirt, and I thought maybe I could make my own. The ones I've liked were at Target ($10) and Nordstrom ($30) but I figured if I could make this work I'd have one for $5.

So first I cut off the collar. It feels rather naughty to cut up a brand new, never before worn piece of clothing, but I got over that pretty quick and decided it was kind of fun.


Then I cut off two of the rhinestone circles because that was how many I needed. I'll save the others for something else.


Then I cut the circles out and left a little bit of edge around them.

This is the underside, I'm thinking these were hand sewn, that must have taken a lot of work, the shirt was normally $54.00.


Then I used hot glue to turn in the edges and glue them down.


But that kind of leaves an ugly gluey mess, so I cut two black felt circles and glued them over top to give me a nice clean circle.


Then I glued these two circles onto a black headband.


And again, not that great of an edge, so back to the felt to clean it up a bit. I just cut out a piece of black felt that would be about the same size as my two circles and hot glued it together on the underside of my headband.


Ta Da! What do you think?


I talked Hallie into modeling it for me, even though this will really be my headband.


I'm pretty excited about it, it's just the right Fancy for this old Nancy. Are you so over me saying that phrase? Too bad. I can't help it, I like it.

P.S. if you're still wondering about the fabric flowers I'm planning on posting a tutorial soon!

13 comments:

Emily said...

That's cute. Way to be creative.

I really like Norah's new barrettes from your craft day. That's a craft I would enjoy and would put to good use if you ever do it again.

Rebecca Irvine said...

tres chic! I like it.

Heather said...

Adorable!

Laura said...

Nanc, you are awesome!

Becky said...

So industrious of you! And with gorgeous results. It looks great on Hallie, too :)

Angela said...

Love it! Maybe you could make one for me out of the extra!?

pam said...

Love the new headband. It is just right for Fancy Nancy.

Jessica said...

that is gorgeous!!!

Laura said...

This is beautiful!

I am featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh my goodness! I love it! And you so totally crack me up. When I saw that shirt, the first thing I thought was, of course, a headband!!! LOL! I love you, Nancy! You almost make this stuff look obvious and easy! Almost... ALMOST...

Megan B ♥ said...

Kinley just walked in and gasped when she saw the pics. You have impressed her deeply.

jenjen said...

That is just so cute. Great repurposing!

Thanks for linking up!!!

XOOX
Jen

Alicia said...

Genius! Great use of thinking outside of the box. My eyes are open to new possibilities! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful!