Monday, March 29, 2010

Peeps of Easter's Past

I think part of the fun of Easter, or any holiday for that matter, is the treats involved. I love to bake, so any excuse to bake for me is a good excuse. I was looking back at some of the treats that I've decorated in Easter's past with Peeps and jellybeans. They seem to be my favorite way to dress up an Easter treat. Here are some of my favorites.




Now of course these cakes and cupcakes would be shallow beauties if there wasn't a good cake underneath all that frosting. So I'm going to give you my tried and true favorite cake recipe. The recipe is originally for a yellow bundt cake, which by the way is a fabulous Easter Sunday dessert. I serve it with real whipped cream and cut up strawberries, you can't go wrong with this. But I use this same recipe with many variations, all you have to do is change the cake and pudding flavor and the possibilities are endless!

Nancy's Moist Yellow Bundt Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (not to diss Pillsbury, I like a lot of their products, but NOT their cake mixes, they don't work as well for me, stick with Betty Crocker Super Moist)
1 box french vanilla pudding (any kind)
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
*since moving to UT (higher elevation) I've begun adding 1/4 c. flour, it just helps the cake to rise better, I'd probably add it everywhere else as well, it just seems to help.

I usually sift all of the dry ingredients into a big bowl, and then add the wet and go to town with my mixer for about 3-4 minutes until everything is well incorporated. Then pour into a well greased bundt pan, or whatever type of cake or cupcake pan you are using.

For the bundt: bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. For everything else you'll just have to pay attention and know that it's done when a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

One more tip: To make your cake extra moist, wait 15 minutes or so after it comes out of the oven, and go around the sides with a butter knife to make sure it's not sticking to your pan, then dump the cake out onto a cake plate and cover with a cake dome (if you don't have a cake dome use saran wrap, but be sure to put a few toothpicks into the top of the cake so the saran wrap doesn't stick). This will trap all of the heat, and create a very, very moist cake. Of course you'd want to let the whole thing cool before serving.

I do like candy Peeps, especially on cake, but truth be told, these are my favorite Easter Peeps.

5 comments:

Jaime @ Our Journey said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing! I love the coconut topped cupcakes ... I really need to start baking more often!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Felt Travel Melt Tutorial.

Marianne said...

Okay, why have I not read your blog before? So great! I love your baking and craft ideas. I am now one of your loyal readers. Keep posting.

hendywow said...

I love that recipe! and I feel blessed that I was able to share last Easter's cake with you!
Miss you always!

Dawn said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I love all the fun things you are always making. Thanks for sharing. Your peeps are so cute and you look great!! Hope to see you soon, seriously:)

pam said...

Great treats and cute kids. Thanks for sharing.