Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spongebob Valentine's Pants

Nothing says Valentine's Day like some red hot spicy salsa. Okay I just made that up. We just were having Mexican food the other night for dinner while my kids were making their Valentines and I thought I'd share my favorite recipe for salsa. If it seems like I'm showing a lot of recipes lately it's because I am. But what I've been doing is making sure to take pictures of my tried and true recipes when I make them, then I type up their recipe and add it to a three ring binder I have inside a page protector so that I have my own cookbook. Ya, I'm nerdy like that. I also print recipes off a lot of food blogs I like with the picture and put them in too (with the source of course).

So anyway here is an oldie but goodie, I stole this recipe from a family that grew up in our Stake, the lady used to sell this at a Christmas boutique. But I've been making it long enough that I think of it as my own now, you can do that can't you? Plus I added the cilantro part, so that totally makes it mine.

Simple Salsa

1 can Hunt's whole tomatoes drained (I've tried other brands but prefer Hunts and prefer whole and use the big can, I think it's 28 oz.)
1 small can diced green chiles
4-5 green onions chopped
small bunch of cilantro chopped (I just rip off a handful)
juice of one lime (if you have it, if not no worries)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. kosher salt

Put all ingredients into blender and pulse until you have your desired chunkiness (don't you love that word? Chunkiness. But whoever desires chunkiness? Not me, but I've still got it anyway).

What did you think we'd make homemade Valentine's at our house? Heck no. My kids wanted Spongebob. Dallas was funny, he was trying so hard to find Valentines for the girls in his class that wouldn't be too suggestive. He didn't want anyone to think he was in love with them or anything.


P.S. my camera takes horrible pictures when there is no natural light, and even then it's tricky for me, maybe it's just me but I like to think it's the camera. Oh well.

3 comments:

pam said...

Sponge Bob has to be good for something. If it for conveying just the right amount of esteem on Valentine's day, so be it. Love the pictures and the salsa.

Dave & Mandi said...

Nancy your blog ALWAYS makes my mouth water!! Now I am totally craving salsa!!
Also, Dallas is one smart boy! Learning to not lead on the ladies at a young age...he could teach a thing or two to older men!

Anonymous said...

Hey I like your recipe for simple salsa, I add chili powder to mine and fresh (jarred garlic) but I want to try the green onion, regular onions make it taste to oniony. Here's a warning when you just pull off a handful of cilantro, unless you grow your own. I did that once a got stung by a nettle plant, I had bought mine at Target, so now I always look inside and wash the sand out. I hate to think what would have happened if I just put it in my salsa and everybody's mouth would have been hurt. Have a great summer. Bridget