Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Family

Back when I was younger I used to throw myself lavish birthday parties (with the help of my friends of course). They always had a fun them like pajama karaoke night, or then there was the MooMoo Mama beauty pageant party, but now that I'm getting on in my years I've decided to slow things down a bit. So this year my Mom threw my Dad and me a birthday party family style, and this year's theme was My Big Fat Greek Family. Okay so my family is not Greek. We just like Greek food, that might be where the fat part creeps in. Not everyone is fat of course, and those of us who might be are fat and happy, so don't go feeling sorry for us. We all met at my Mom's house Saturday night and everyone brought something to the table. My Mom made Gyro meat with homemade pita bread, my brother Steve fried up some of his famous falafel, Angela was on the tzatziki sauce, I made a Greek salad and then my Mom and I rounded out the meal with a few different styles of hummus and a yummy couscous salad. It was all very delicious, and I know that the members of my family who live in far off lands and were unable to attend will be salivating at the very thought of this meal.

Anyway I thought I'd share the Greek style salad dressing I made because I was very happy with the results. It's a variation of a recipe that I found at allrecipes.com, I love that web site.


Greek Style Salad Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil

2/3 cup red wine vinegar

1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder

1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano

1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon onion powder

½ teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard


Place all ingredients into a jar, seal tight with a lid, and shake vigorously until you have a good emulsion. Pour over chopped greens, roma tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, red onion, and feta cheese. Yum!





I got a few presents at the party with a bit of a sweet theme. Cupcake plates from my Mom.



Ceramic cupcakes from Ange. And some Swedish pearl sugar from Emily that I'll be sure to put to good use. Emily also gave me a Lego cake form that my kids can't wait for me to try out.




10 comments:

Emily said...

opa!

Dusty said...

It sounds like a very fun party and the food sounds so yummy. You are pretty funny! Your salad is beautiful and I'm sure was delicious. Happy Birthday a little late. Hopefully I will get to visit you soon.

Courtney said...

Sounds like a great party. I love greek salads so I will have to try the recipe.

Ask Emily where she got the lego cake pan. Seth wants a lego party and I am already planning it.

Toria said...

you are so funny!
Happy Birthday- a greek party sounds like a great idea and my mouth is watering too. Good thing we're going out for Greek food for date night tomorrow.
a lego party also sounds like a great idea. I'm excited to see what it looks like and what you and Courtney come up with when using it, so I can copy someday :)
I love your cupcakes too!
Happy Happy Birthday!

Rebecca Irvine said...

That salad looks divine--I will be making that soon.

Looks like you had a fun birthday! Best wishes for the upcoming year.

Becky said...

And now. . . .WE DANCE!!!

Well, I wasn't there, so maybe you guys didn't do a lot of dancing. But if I'd a been at our Greek party, you'd better believe I would a put a little Greek two step into the mix!

I am so happy you got together for your birthdays. I am so wishing I lived close to you.

No mention of an awesome CD and fabulous retro grandma earring turned finger ring gift. . . .must be saving that for your next post :)

Sarah said...

happy birthday nancy! that salad looks so good.

Dawn said...

What a great party! I am so excited to try the greek dressing. I love greek salads! Happy Birthday funny lady! Every post makes me giggle. You're the best! lOVE YOU!!

pam said...

I had been thinking about how much I liked your salad dressing and had planned to call you to get the recipe, so thanks for including it in your post. It was a fun party with great people and good food. We did include the others of you who have February birthdays in our invitations, sorry you couldn't come. We missed you. Happy Birthday to Ben and Sam too.

Tami G. said...

How fun. I miss your lavish parties from when you were "younger", though. Happy birthday, Nance. I wish we had been there to celebrate with you. I didn't know we were the same age for a few months! I'm not 33 til May!