Monday, January 25, 2010

Pretty in Pink

I have been lamenting the fact that I don't have a lot of Valentine's decorations, and not wanting to spend a lot of money to get them I decided to make some, and added a few things I had paired with a few things I bought on the cheap to come up with a Valentine's mantel that I love.


I had seen this blogger on KSL Studio 5, a local morning show here that often highlights crafty bloggers, and decided to copy her Valentine's wreath. This is my interpretation. For a tutorial see her blog. This was really easy to make, but time consuming, so take an afternoon where you don't have a lot going on and know that it's going to take you upwards of 4 hours to complete. Most of your time making this wreath will be spent cutting circles, also I used hot glue instead of pins because I didn't want to use all of my sewing pins, but it still used a ton of glue to complete. I made this with a dollar store Styrofoam wreath and a little over a yard's worth of felt from JoAnn's (I bought it on the bolt with a coupon of course.)


Next up was this fabric bunting. I had originally planned to put the words "Be Mine" on the bunting but decided that I liked it just like this and didn't want to mess it up. I still want to find a sign of some sort to really drive home the whole Valentine's aspect of my mantel scape. This is basically a no-sew project involving wonder under and a rotary cutter fitted with a pinking blade. Although I did sew the fabric to the ric rac, but if you didn't know how to sew you could easily do that step with fabric glue. I always think I should do tutorials, but then think it should be pretty self explanatory too, but if anyone is interested in step-by-step fabric bunting making let me know, I'll see what I can do. I have had this fabric for a year or so, but just barely got around to making this, I love the way it turned out.

Then I simply added a few things here and there. I had recently bought these ceramic cupcakes at Tai Pan ($6 for a pack of 4, love Tai-Pan) because I can't pass up a cute cupcake, and these marshmallow candies ($1 a piece sitting in $1 vases) are from Wal-Mart, I just switched out the packaging. Then I found these cute pink birds (had to put birds in there somehow) at Michaels (they were $3.99/3, but I used a 50% off coupon and go them for $2). Do you even want these details? I have a hard time not telling where I got stuff, how much I spent, and how easy something is to make. It just comes out of me, because I'm always curious myself, so if you're not just enjoy the pictures and glance over the tedious details.


So with my cute Valentine's mantel in place we were ready to host my Mom's birthday party. We decided to go to a movie and then back to my house for dessert. We went and saw The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt.

You may not even have heard of this movie, it's in a pretty limited release, but if you like period piece movies with amazing costumes I would highly recommend this. Travis even liked it, as did my brother Steve, my brother Austin on the other hand didn't love it(but he's quite the movie critic and doesn't like movies like this in the first place). My Mom and Dad and sister Angela also really enjoyed it. We didn't take our kids, it's PG, but not a kid movie, more of a chick flick.

Then we had dessert at my house to celebrate my Mom's birthday. I hope she had a great evening, I know I did, missing was my sister Becky who shares my Mom's birthday. Too bad she doesn't live closer. Happy Birthday to both of you!

14 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Love your decorations! You have more than I have. I guess I need to get on the ball.

Joy said...

Oh my CUUUUUUUUTE! My jaw hit the floor when I opened your post. Um, ADORABLE! I will be making that wreath, and I LOVE your interpretation. YES. Fabulous.

Courtney said...

love the decor - glad you were able to find a pink bird.

abby said...

i love the step by step details, nancy. the wreath is awesome!

and happy birthday to pam!!!

pam said...

As Always, We enjoyed your cute decorations. Thank you so much for a fun evening to celebrate my birthday. Hate to think about how old I am getting. But I really enjoyed the movie with all of you who were able to come, missed all who couldn't, and the wonderful dessert afterwards. Glad too that the weather cooperated and we didn't get snowed on.

onehm said...

Those Valentine's decorations are TO DIE FOR! So so very cute!! :)
You are one talented lady!

Nancy said...

rebecca and onehm, the bunting is Becky's design, you should go over to her house for a bunting making party, wish I could join!

Dawn said...

I LOVE the valentines wreath!! and of course all your other cute inexpensive finds. I like hearing about the deals you find and how to make the cute things you come up with. Your parents look great! Happy birthday Pam! I have been wanting to see that movie but I will probably have to wait until DVD release. Hope to see you again soon! Love ya!

Ashley said...

You are a great decorator! I have been dying to see that movie. Trent doesn't go for period pieces though so I will have to wait until to comes out on DVD:(

Angela said...

Love the mantle scape Nancy. Sorry I missed out on seeing it in person (and eating some of your yummy banana pudding!), but I missed my baby. :)

The Dawlings said...

love the bunting--you can use if for tons of different things with out the "be mine" so I think it worked out great!

The Peach.... said...

I LOVE your wreath! My sister Joy passed me your link....that is darling. Thanks for sharing...my Valentine wreath is on : www.aboutapeach.blogspot.com

Petit Elefant said...

I heart that bunting. But FOUR HOURS for a wreath? No way, Jose.

**Amy** said...

YOur wreath does look great! I also love all your decorations on the mantle.