Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fancy Nancy: it's all in the name

It just might be possible that I've done more crafting in the last 24 hours than I have in the last 6 months. I forget sometimes how much I enjoy creating things. I seem to go in spurts, and I had a big spurt this weekend.

We've (my Primary presidency and I ) been looking for a good/cheap/cute birthday gift for the kids in Primary. Since we had to make over 100 of whatever we were making, and had no budget money for it whatsoever, I decided to come up with something I could make inexpensively. So as usual I called upon one of my Photoshop guru's, this time it was sweet Mandy Pants, and she came through in true form. She helped me shrink down the picture from the cover of the sharing time outline and put the theme for this year, "I know my Savior lives" right on it. I decided to make a key chain for all of the kids that they could put on their backpack, or do whatever they want with. My Father-in-law helped me cut the wood and drill holes for the key chains, then I sanded, painted, mod podged, and triple thicked (this stuff is awesome, it gives it a glossy, clear finish-I got it at Hobby Lobby) the heck out of these little guys. I think they turned out really cute, and were very inexpensive, I want to say they were under 50 cents a piece (maybe even closer to 30 cents, I haven't figured it out yet). I used a ton of coupons and bought all of the supplies at at least 40% off. Gotta love that Michael's and JoAnns will honor competitors coupons. Mandy gave her permission for me to share, so I'll try to get that up soon so that you can make your own if you want to, in the mean time feel free to email me for more details if you're interested.



Then my cute friend Brittany had a baby shower this morning. She's finally having a little girl after already having three sweet boys, so I thought she deserved something girly. I made her a baby blanket and taggie/softie, whatever you want to call it. Basically it's a small blanket that coordinates with the big one, it's all the rage with babies these days.



I also took Melt-A-Way cookies to the shower, I think these are so fun for a baby shower and everyone seems to like them. They would be really cute with blue or green frosting for a boy shower too, and they are so easy to make. I'm re-posting the recipe due to many requests for it at the shower.



And tonight we're celebrating my Mother-In-Law Marsha's birthday and my Sister-In-Law Carol's birthday so I thought I'd better make them some gifts. I don't know if everyone enjoys jewelry as much as I do, but it's fun to make and I think makes a cute present, so I made these bracelets and paired them with some lotion. Every girl needs something pink and pretty on her birthday, right?




I thought since I was posting crafty birthday presents I'd show this cute dessert plate I made for my Sister-In-Law Emily's birthday in December. I bought a cute plastic plate and bowl from Target and glued them together to make this dessert plate. The glue I used didn't work that well though, I think I just didn't let it set long enough before I gave it to her, I'm going to try again with a stronger glue because I think it's such a cute idea. The pictures were taken at night, so it's not the best lighting, but you get the idea.


So here's the cookie recipe for anyone interested!















Melt-A-Way Cookies


3/4 c. Cornstarch, sifted
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1 c. flour


Beat butter and other ingredients until creamy. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, let cool and frost. (Note, I think these work best when the butter is almost entirely melted, if your dough comes out crumbly add a little milk to get a creamy consistency. They also usually have a runny frosting drizzled on top, but I made mine a little thicker so I could pipe it, and I also added some almond extract to the frosting which I think lent itself well to these cookies. Also note, these cookies are very small, I used about a teaspoons worth of dough for each one -give or take- no actual measuring as the dough is sticky and will stick to a cookie scoop.) Enjoy!

17 comments:

Keith and Lynsi said...

Wow, you've been busy! The keychains are such a cute idea! You're amazing, I'm sure that took some serious time! The cookies look delish, and I love the dessert plate!

Steph said...

Love it all! I have been crafting too...can't wait to see you in 1 WEEK! Hope you are still in the mood to craft when I get there!!

pam said...

You have been a busy girl since I last saw you. Glad you were able to get the key chains finished. They are really nice. Love the cute birthday gifts too.

The Dawlings said...

I absolutely LOOOOOVE my blanket--you are sooo amazing. And those cookies were to DIE for! I am going to make them--probably tomorrow. Thanks so much for coming and for the great gift. You are soo great and it was wonderful seeing you!

Becky said...

You sure live up to your name!
I LOVE them! All so pretty and so clever. Wish I could say I was coming up in a week, too, or at least that I was seeing you in a week! I'm not ready for the actual snow. But if I did come, I would want some of those melt a ways. Yum-o.

Sarah said...

if i was still primary pres. i would be borrowing your keychain idea, dor sure! they turned out so cute!

hendywow said...

It was so much easier when you lived close, that way I could taste your yummy creations, and not have to get all domestic!

Dave & Mandi said...

Love it all...I can not believe that you made over 100 of those key chains!! Amazing, and very cute!

Nancy said...

You guys are so nice, I have to be honest and say that I haven't made all 100 keychains just yet. They are very time consuming, but fun!

kimber said...

I LOVE the baby blankie/ taggie you made. Still 2 of my favorite blankies are the ones you made for my girls.

Rebecca Irvine said...

No I am wishing I was your SIL! You have such great ideas :-)

amyegodfrey said...

I'm thinking you could/should have your own craft magazine! These ideas are wonderful. I'm impressed.

Tami G. said...

Nance, every time I come here, I leave wanting to craft or bake something. My beads are calling me...

Jacque said...

such great stuff, nancy! you are so creative and talented! those cookies look so good!

Julee said...

Crafty girl! Love all your creations.

Thanks for the recipe, too. I'd love to give them a try. They look so dainty and pretty. Maybe for Valentine's Day...

abby said...

you are martha's heir, nancy.

emily snyder said...

Nanc!!! where are you living?? i HAVE got to have you teach me to be like you!!! LOVE EM