Wednesday, December 9, 2009

An excuse for cake

Yesterday looked like this.


So I stayed inside and made this.


Because of him.


And her.


But mostly him.


Because it was his birthday.


And I love him, and this is the tenth birthday we've celebrated of his together, so I'd say that makes us quite young together, even if we're getting quite old separately.

Oh and I got a new camera, nothing fancy, but a step up for me. Wanna know my favorite part? It has a food setting people, a FOOD setting. This camera gets me. Even if my husband doesn't, and says that eating with me on his birthday is like having the Paparazzi around.

Because who doesn't like pictures of this?


This cake was darn good, and I don't mind saying so because it's just so dang easy that everyone can make it. You can see the recipe here (don't be fooled by the chocolate cake, the recipe is the same no matter what type of cake you make). The only change to this recipe I've made after moving to Utah is that I add 1/4 cup flour to the recipe, it seems to have a better consistency and rise better, so add it for sure. My other secret? I used, gasp, store bought frosting. And you know what? It tasted quite good, and was so much less mess to clean up. I can't say that I prefer it to homemade, but it's a pretty good runner-up. And the steak sandwiches I made were awesome too, here's the recipe. I didn't use the horseradish, mustard or red wine though, and you didn't really need them. Oh and I highly recommend the crock-pot step as it made everything incredibly tender and tasty.

Travis and I ended his birthday night at Michael McLean's Forgotten Carols concert. I got tickets for him for his birthday. It was so much fun. Travis has always liked this music, and I've listened to his CD every Christmas, but I had no idea the cute story behind it all. If you ever get a chance to see this at Christmas time I'd highly recommend it. I think we'll go back next year and take the kids for sure. Michael himself plays the lead and was really good and funny, I loved watching the excitement for music this man has exude from every part of his being. Such a great guy. Such beautiful music. Such a great night for my great guy. I love you Travis, Happy Birthday!

Oh, and one more thing. Two really. Travis and I went to lunch at school with these two kids of ours today because they both got Student of the Month, on the same month. What are the odds?

9 comments:

Courtney said...

happy birthday travis! i've heard forgotten carols is very good.

i'm kind of glad our school doesn't have student of the month because i'm pretty sure my kids wouldn't all get it especially in the same month!

Dawn said...

Happy birthday Travis! Looks like a yummy one but of course it would be with Chef Nancy around. Go Dallas and Hallie! What a great month!

Rebecca Irvine said...

That looks soooo yummy. Save me a piece please.

I am doing more focus groups and am wishing you were still local. Oh, well.

The Dawlings said...

um... yum. I want some of that!

Becky said...

Nancy,
You're awesome and I loved this post!
Happy Birthday Travis!
Can't wait to see you guys :)

pam said...

Happy Birthday Travis! We will celebrate with you a little later in the month. It looks like you had a great day what with a birthday cake, concert and smart kids! Glad the cold weather doesn't stop you from enjoying evenings out.

Jen said...

What a cute bunt cake. I am a fan of bunt cakes. I have a few good recipes myself. I'll send them your way.

kimber said...

Happy Birthday Travis! He's one lucky guy to have such a good cook for a wife! Dave totally gets jipped.

Jill Bagley said...

ya, i agree, you must make the best birthday cakes ever---your hubby is lucky!! and those cupcake cookies are so cute. i love decorating stuff with red hots and round bally things. i have just recently developed a need for a cookie press :) ha