Monday, November 16, 2009

Thinking Thin

Attention Skinny People: read no further. I do not want to be held responsible for making skinny people skinnier. No, that would be a crime against humanity. But if you are like me and your curves have curves then you might want to try this taco soup recipe. It has guaranteed weight loss results (I guarantee it). I got this recipe on the very first night that I ever went to a Weight Watchers meeting, like 4 years ago, and have made this soup a "go to" when I want to drop a few pounds in a week. If you're like me and you want to enjoy the holidays (ie. bake and eat lots of yummy food) than you might want to lose a few pounds now to allow for all those extra seasonal calories.

Taco Soup (2 and 1/2 points per cup of soup)

3 cans any type of beans (I use pinto beans in chili sauce, black beans, and kidney beans and for heaven's sake rinse your beans so you don't leave that thick film on them)
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I usually use RoTel tomatoes for one of these two cans, but today when I made it I didn't have any RoTel tomatoes on hand so I used one can of diced tomatoes and one can of Herdez salsa, but beware these additions make for a spicy kick!)
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can water
1 lb. cooked ground beef
1 packet ranch dip mix
1 packet taco seasoning mix
1 can 4 oz. diced green chilies (if you use RoTel tomatoes or the salsa you don't need this)
1 medium onion diced

Brown your hamburger along with the diced onions until the hamburger is cooked through. Add seasonings and canned items and stir, simmer for one hour. Garnish with cilantro and fat free sour cream (they make it so much better!).


It's a really simple recipe, and it makes a lot of soup. If I am really trying to have a good weigh in this soup seriously helps. I usually have it for dinner a couple of nights and a lunch or two as well (it is possible to get sick of this though so it's no cabbage soup diet or anything). The soup is very filling, and I usually like to eat it with some fat free sour cream and some baked tortilla chips, but skip the cheese, you don't even need it. Unless you're skinny. Then I suggest some shredded cheddar cheese, and lots of it.


And does anyone else watch Project Runway? I decided that Carol Hannah looks like this dog from Lady and The Tramp (she's the one that sings "He's A Tramp"). I'm not trying to be mean, I like Carol, but she bears a striking resemblance to this dog in a cute sort of way. She's a cute and very talented girl, but she wears WAY too much eye makeup. And she could use a little help in the hair department as well. Carol Hannah if you read this feel free to find a picture of a dog that looks like me and post it on your blog for all to see, no hard feelings...

6 comments:

jill said...

Hooray- thank you for providing a great recipe for me to try this week. Looks yummy!
And I hadn't thought of the Carol-Lady and the Tramp connection, but you are right. They are both darling!

Rebecca Irvine said...

The soup sounds good, and is similar to one I also picked up at WW. This is such a great season for soups.

I am hoping Carol Hannah wins PR. I am not sure about the gray tulle dress shown last week as part of her collection, but some of her other pieces looked good.

kimber said...

That looks so yummy! Really it helps loose weight? I've been gaining weight a little too fast, I'm totally gonna make this this week. Thanks for the easy recipe cause if it's ever more than 5 or 6 ingredients or an ingredient that I haven't heard of I don't even try.

Angela said...

I hadn't thought of the Carol Hannah thing, but I see what you're saying. I totally agree on the too much eye make up thing. I actually said that to Brian when I was watching last week. I hope she wins! Maybe we could have a Runway watching party, and you could make skinny soup. :)

Keith and Lynsi said...

That soup looks delish! I really did some damage during Halloween time...this soup could do me some good before next week!
Don't watch PR but I can see the resemblance! You are so funny!

Ashley said...

Soup looks good! I love PR! Totally see the resemblance--too funny.