Friday, November 20, 2009

Pumpkin Cookies

Have you ever tried to make pumpkin cookies look attractive, or even appetizing? Well I did today and decided it's near impossible, but even if these cookies aren't beauties to look at they taste scrumptious in your belly. I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com, one of my favorite recipe websites. I like this site a lot because there are tons of recipes, and lots of reviews so you can see what people say about the food before you try it. These cookies were very highly rated, and I'd say pretty healthy. I changed up the recipe a bit by using applesauce instead of the oil, and half whole wheat flour (that might account for the brownish color, but you don't even taste it). I also used half the amount of chocolate chips the recipe called for, and there are still plenty. In fact the only fat in these cookies is in the one egg and the chocolate chips, but when you divide that by 30ish cookies, you're looking at a very low fat cookie. We've even been calling them breakfast around here lately. They only have 2 WW points each (and they are pretty big, I calculated the points with the recipe making 30 cookies but you could easily make them smaller). Give them a try, you'll be glad you did.

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (if you don't have any you could just use 2 cups white)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Combine pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

Add chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies. Enjoy!
Be sure and see my sister Katie's Thanksgivng Traditions post over at Tangled and True. I love that girl.
Image from Tangled and True

5 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Yum!! I like that they use whole wheat flour and applesauce. I will have to try these now that my spice cake mix ones are about gone.

kelli said...

Nancy, the trick is to put frosting on them. Lindsey has a yummy recipe!

Katie, did you make that wreath in the photo collage? I really love it.

pam said...

Those cookies sound like the pumpkin bread recipe I used to used and liked and can't find anymore. They sound good. Love Katie's Thanksgiving Collage. They all look great amidst the pumpkins.

Lauren said...

Those look delicious. I remember your mom made us a huge 'Canadian Thanksgiving' dinner in college that was soo good.

~Cari said...

Nance- I always think the same thing, "These don't look at all appetizing!" Wonder how they'd look if they were piped with a star tip???? Let me know if you try it.