Saturday, October 3, 2009

What Matters Most

We've spent our Saturday watching General Conference. I don't know how much my children get out of it, but I'd like to think it's more like what Elder Bednar said, that the consistency of having conference on in our home will help my children to cultivate a love and appreciation for the words of the Prophet and General Authorities.

So since my heart has been warmed by this conference I thought I'd share this clip on What Matters Most by President Thomas S. Monson, the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And along with that clip I have a yummy recipe to warm your heart and soul. We made this for our linner (my kids made up that word, it's kind of like brunch, only it's lunch and dinner together, which is what we usually have on Sundays after three hours of church, which run right through lunch) today. This recipe is from my friend Ashley in Arizona, I hope she doesn't mind my sharing it, but I think a recipe this good needs to be shared with the world. I'm not entirely sure that this is the first time I've shared it, I'd have to search through my archives and see, but if I have this one is definitely worth repeating.

Pumpkin Bisque

1 large onion, thinly sliced

1/4 cup butter

1/2 tsp. curry powder

2 cups canned pumpkin

1 tsp. salt

2 cups cream or milk (I used fat free half and half, and never missed the cream one bit!)

2 1/2 cups chicken stock (I didn't have the real thing so I boiled 2 1/2 cups of water and used chicken bouillon)

Directions: Melt butter in skillet and add sliced onions. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and saute until limp. Sprinkle with curry powder and saute an additional few minutes. In a food processor or blender (don't skip this step, trust me this soup is worth dirtying up your food processor) mix curried onions, pumpkin, and salt. Transfer pumpkin mix to large saucepan and heat slowly with chicken stock, and then add cream.

This is one of my favorite soups ever. Our friends Ashley and Trent had us over to dinner a few years ago when we still lived in Arizona, and she served this soup. I do believe there was another soup, and other goodies present, but this soup stands out in my memory and Travis' as one of the best meals shared with friends, ever. I think you'll like it for sure. And if you're in Arizona and it's not quite cold enough outside to enjoy this soup, just crank up your A/C, put on a sweater, and a little Barry Manilow's Weekend in New England (actually I don't even know that song, but New England conjures up images of Fall leaves in my mind, and that might get you into the Fall mood) and pretend it's cold outside.

And this has nothing whatsoever to do with Fall, soup or conference, but I thought it was funny. Hallie just stepped into my office and said, "Mommy, do I look like a spy?" I said, "totally" and snapped her picture. Apparently the neighborhood kids are playing a game and she was assigned the role of the spy. I love how this little girl gets into character. Notice the pose people. Only spies know how to look that unassuming. I don't think that a hot pink coat and socks make her stand out at all. No, Agent Hallie knows how to blend into a crowd like an incognito mosquito.



9 comments:

Petit Elefant said...

I'm going to make that recipe during tomorrow's session.

I think it's the consistency that counts by the way, and I don't mean the soup.

:)

Becky said...

That was some powerful stuff, Nance. And I've never seen that video.
Do you know that I love you? I do. You're the best!

Michelle said...

That video was wonderful! I love it. Conference was really great this weekend and you are right, Iam not sure what Ky and Jaden get out of it all, but they know what it is, who is speaking and that it's important to our family...that's a great way to start! Hope you guys stayed warm this wonderful weekend!

kimber said...

Thanks for the recipe. Pumpkin soup was my absolute favorite in Australia and I can never find one quite as good. So I'm for sure gonna make it!

Ashley said...

I'm honored you used my recipe:) I love that one too and look forward to making it when it finally stays cool (maybe toward the end of this month). Wish you guys were still here to come to dinner. Come visit soon!

The Dawlings said...

Amen to consistency!!! You rock!

pam said...

Love the spy photos and the great video from Pres. Monson. But now I am curious about the 2 photos that appear to have been deleted.

Nancy said...

I didn't delete any photos, so I'm not sure what is showing up on your reader, weird.

Sarah Jane said...

we just watched this about 10 times in a row (me and the kids). I love this. thanks for posting! It's been a rough day and that really lightened my heart:) thanks!