Monday, October 5, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Halloween

**If you can make it through my Halloween decor show and tell there is a fun prize at the end!**

So I stopped cursing the Mayflower moving company on Saturday night when I finally found my Halloween decorations amongst our yet unpacked boxes in the basement. For the most part our moving packers were awesome, but there were a few horribly packed boxes that I know my own children could have done a better job with. Of course it was the last, unmarked, horrendously packed box that I looked through that just happened to contain my Halloween decor. I guess some people don't take Halloween decorations as seriously as I do.

By the time I found the decorations it was Saturday night, so while Travis was at Priesthood session the kids and I hurried up and put out the decorations to surprise him. Then when he got home we headed to Village Inn for pie, where everyone and their brother was still dressed in a white shirt and tie from the Priesthood Session of Conference, only in Utah, gotta love it. During our pie conversation Travis told me the story of how he was letting Hallie comb his hair during conference earlier in the day to keep her occupied, and she turned to him and said, "Dad, you're almost handsome." We had a good laugh at that, and that is kind of how I feel about my Halloween decor, it's almost handsome, and almost finished, but I thought I'd show you where I'm at today.

Can you spot the difference between these two pictures? After I had everything put up I decided to have some fun with ribbon, and I glue gunned it on the pumpkins and vases, I think it was a small detail that made a big impact, I'm quite loving the results.



The kids got in on the action with these ornaments they colored, and put on our topiaries. I think they turned out cute. After they put them up I went back and rearranged them a little, mostly for spacial purposes, and of course Hallie noticed this morning and wanted to know who had messed up her decorating. I guess I can't get much past them.




I really wanted a Halloween "tree" this year, so instead of paying $60 for the cute one at Tai Pan I decided to make my own. I got this big branch from my in-law's property. My Father-In-Law says it's an Almond Tree branch. I think they thought it was odd that I was so intent on getting just the right branch, but I had a vision. I was originally going to spray paint it black, but decided I liked the organic quality of this in its natural state. I wasn't sure how to make it stand up like a tree, so I found an old vase, covered it in cheap fabric ($1.50/yard at Wal-Mart) and filled it with rocks and rice. Believe me if it ever gets knocked over there will be a huge, tasty mess to clean up. But for now it seems fairly sturdy. I got these cute ornaments at Tai-Pan and used them along with some ribbon from Hobby Lobby for decoration.



So to get us all into the Halloween spirit I thought I'd host a giveaway. A few weekends ago my Mom, My sister Angela and I went to a local gem show. I picked up these cute pumpkin lampwork beads there, and had the lovely Angela (she's amazing in the jewelry making department) put them together for me in a matching necklace and set of earrings. And now I want to give them to you! So here's the rules for the giveaway:

Please leave a comment in the comment section answering this question: What is your favorite Halloween candy of all time?
  • Only one comment per person
  • I will choose one winner (random.org) on Thursday evening (October 8), at which time the winner should contact me with their address at this email address: nancysblondeambitions@gmail.com
  • Tell your friends!

16 comments:

kms said...

Only one? Then it would have to be Tootsie Rolls.

Inspired by your decorations to get mine out today.... Thanks!

Becky said...

Favorite Halloween Candy Score from my youth: TWIX bars.
Now I like about anything with chocolate in it.

LOVE the halloween :) The ribbon was the perfect addition.

Giveaways make October even better :)

Michelle said...

Such cute decor! Tis the season! All my decorations are in storage, in town, but I did paint my nails today orange and black - does that count?? ! :) Gotta start somewhere, right?!
Ohhhh, my favorite halloween candy....let's see - Growing up, it was always Snickers that I threw in the freezer before eating...YUM!

Angela said...

Am I allowed to enter even though I made the charms? :)
I don't think I could pick a favorite Halloween candy, but trick-or-treating first introduced me to the 5th Avenue bar, which I very much enjoy!

Em said...

chocolate! cute decorations

Jennifer said...

Mounds! I think I could eat a whole bag. I love your decorations--I haven't even started decorating.

Anonymous said...

I love candy corn! Your decorations look great!

pam said...

Love your decorations, including the orange polka dot ribbon. Glad you still use the old painted decos. The person who was mostly impressed with my decorations was three year old Norah. Glad somebody appreciated all the effort. I used to love caramel apples. But that must be a youthful remembrance. Now it has to be chocolate. And I love the jewelry even if I don't have pierced ears.

kimber said...

I love the ribbon and the Halloween Tree (again you make me wish I was somewhat crafty).
Favorite candy: I wish you asked about Christmas cause chococlate covered, marshmellow filled santa's are my all time favorite. Why don't they do pumkins? So...probably candy corns, but only about the first 100, then I'm done till next year.

Becky said...

Candy corn for sure! You are so talented. You need to come to my house and decorate. LOVE it!

Petit Elefant said...

I think it's VERY handsome, thank you very much.

Autumn said...

Candy corns. Love Love Love them. Love your kids Halloween ornaments also!

Sarah Jane said...

oh you inspire me to get at halloween already! awesome nancy...i love the crows!

Jen Rutter said...

Brachs Candy corn- without a doubt!

AL&G said...

Smarties.

carole said...

my favorite Halloween candy has to be REESES PEANUT BUTTER CUPS.......Hey they"re ORANGE!!
Carole
gram122@comcast.net