Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wicked Forever 21

Hallie recently started a music theater class where she has been learning lots of new things. Included amongst these new things is some new vocabulary. One word she has been using a lot lately is "loathing." As in, "Mom, I am loathing what we are having for dinner." Or my favorite, "Mom, I am loathing going shopping with you."

You see the play that they are working on in her theater class takes the best of Wicked, and the Wizard of Oz and throws in a little Grease for good measure. The word loathing comes from a classic Wicked song where the two main characters are expressing their distaste for each other. It is one of my favorite songs, from one of my favorite plays, I mean I wish they allowed 30 somethings in their production, I'd make a killer Galinda. But Hallie seems more fit for a munchkin than her mother, so it is she that is in the class and will get to live out my dreams in the Spring production. Until then we are enjoying all of her new found songs, dance moves, and vocabulary.

So yesterday when I wanted to go shopping I had to pull out my arsenal of trickery to entice Hallie along. My main "go to" trick is the promise of lunch at the mall food court. That's a given. But in order to get Hallie to actually shop without whining (how I loathe this girl's incessant ability to whine relentlessly) I promise a trip to Forever 21. I know what you're thinking, is there anything for five-and-three-quarter-year-olds at a store called Forever 21? And the answer, at least for my daughter, lies in the jewelry section. The glorious, eye-candyland that is the jewelry section of Forever 21. Our local mall recently put a huge Forever 21 in the entire section that was previously Mervyns. We're talking two floors people, a department store sized Forever 21. The jewelry section is located on the bottom floor level right off of the escalator, and is at least three sizes bigger than the one at our old mall's Forever 21.

I can still vividly remember the first time I went to this section, I was with Hallie and Dallas, literally dragging them around the mall with all the strength I could muster (they both loathe shopping, go figure) and we were descending the Forever 21 store escalator, unaware of the ginormous jewel section with which we were about to become blissfully acquainted. Upon eyeing this section Hallie gasped, literally out loud, and exclaimed with what can only be described as celestial glee, "Oh Mommy! This is what every girl wants!" Dallas and I couldn't help but contain our giggles, but you know what, she's absolutely right. So now when I want to entice Hallie to go shopping, I just have to include a trip to the jewels at Forever 21 with the promise of a new piece of jewelry.

So yesterday, on weird hair day of all days, Hallie and I went to the mall. You see at school they are having spirit week, and yesterday was weird hair day. So this was Hallie's hair do. I decided she'd either fit in more with some of the Utah culture where such hair would be celebrated, or people would just give me strange looks and wonder what kind of mother would do that to her daughter's head, I think we encountered some of both. (I fully realize the picture quality below is lacking, but it was early, and Hallie was trying to eat her toast at the same time, they will at least help you visualize the state of Hallie's hair yesterday).

This was Dallas' weird hair which could also pass for normal, at his old school for sure.

But strange hair aside, Hallie and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the jewelry section, and each brought home a piece of paradise to add to our growing collections. I picked out this flower necklace, and Hallie, after much temptation and debate, came home with this ring set. I think we both found some new treasures that will be cherished for years to come, or until she loses them. Either way we brought home some joy and happiness for under $10.




But the thing that has been tormenting me since yesterday's shopping excursion is a pair of jeans I tried on. Now my sister Katie taught me a shopping trick that helps her save money and only add beloved pieces to her wardrobe while fighting the urge to pick up every single bargain that you only later regret and move to the back of the closet (that folks is called a run-on sentence, I am notorious for them). Katie says she only purchases perfect 10's. I'm not talking sizes here, Katie is much smaller than a 10 and that is why I loathe, I mean love, my skinny sister. She means she only purchases items that she deems a perfect 10 on a scale of how much she really loves them.

Well I found some jeans that are absolutely a perfect 10, for me anyway. And I put them on hold. And they are calling my name like a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. Problem is, they are $98. Now for me, that is expensive. I had the cash ready for purchase in my hand (which was given to me by my husband for a Costco trip) and I was rationalizing in my mind how we could live without the vanilla, Pam cooking spray, turkey bacon, and dryer sheets (HA!) from Costco that we were low on. But I decided to sleep on it, and see how I feel today. And let me tell you, I am still in love with these jeans, and I think they should belong to me. I am picturing them now, on hold, at the mall, just waiting for me to come and get them. But I am also picturing the groceries I need to buy, and then ten pairs of jeans I could buy for my children with that same amount of money. I feel guilty I tell you, guilty. Why? Because that is really too much money. But I went and tried on much cheaper jeans after, and nothing even slightly compared. So maybe they are worth the money. I think Reachel would tell me they were. But I'm still debating. I hate to leave you in suspense but I have yet to make up my mind on this issue. What do you think? Should I buy them? Would you buy them? Will I buy them? I'll let you know...

P.S. These are the after effects of weird hair day, not so weird after all.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I would not buy them, but I don't believe in buying expensive clothes.

Allred Fam said...

I'm a stranger so don't put too much into my advice....

You SHOULD have that $98. pair of perfect 10 jeans.

But they WILL go on sale I guarantee it, and then they will be 30-50% off, and THAT would be the perfect time to buy those jeans....

Steph said...

Love Hallie's hair...I remember you telling me the story about Hallie when we went to Forever 21, cute!

As far as the jeans go...I would definitely buy them (if you LOVE them). Even though they are expensive, jeans are a staple to the wardrobe AND every girl needs a "good" pair of jeans! I swear by a good pair of jeans. They make you feel better and they last forever. I bought my first pair of "expensive" jeans 6 years ago, and wore them yesterday...see,they last forever and I love them now as much as I did 6 years ago!

This is a fun post...I can't wait to hear other theories on "jeans". I really didn't get it and loved my Old Navy jeans until I bought that first pair!

Michelle said...

How fun! I love forever 21...we'llhave to take our girls shopping one of these days...I certainly don't loathe it! :)

Sarah said...

Every girl needs a really good pair or jeans. I say buy them, or ask Travis to buy them for you and save them for Christmas. You will not stop thinking about them and everytime you put on that less expensive, lesser denim pair, you will wish you had the $98 jeans instead.

If it's not in the budget now, save up for them. They'll still be there, or something just like them. You'll wear them a ton and get your money's worth.

Em said...

Hallie's hair is so cute and she will love doing the play

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Totally buy the jeans. Buy them, wear them every day, love yourself in them, and you'll get your money's worth! I spend a lot on jeans...it's money I feel is well worth it!

Becky said...

You're wicked funny.
Hallie is adorable. . .The this is what every girl wants sentence is a classic. Put Forever 21 on our must shop at list for when I come visit. Jill says its "show stopping" and I see Hallie agrees. I love what you picked out :)

And you should get those jeans! Just save up for them. . .they're not going to disappear. . .and check for them to go on sale, too. Smart thinking!

kimber said...

I loved both their hair just for not crazy hair day.

And I'm sure you know what I would say about the jeans (especially after living with me in Hawaii), for sure buy them! As long as you don't do it all the time, there's nothing wrong with splurging a bit on yourself, you deserve it!

And you say me and Dave are some of the funnest people, not nearly as fun and funny as you. Look at all those fun parties you threw. You need to come "home" for the holidays and throw another one:)

pam said...

Love the jewels and the curly hair. Now I want to see a post on the real jewels from the gem show! I had to buy another plastic box to put my stuff in. Just need to get busy and put some of it together.