Monday, August 31, 2009

Green Machine

Tonight we ate green food for dinner. Not for any particular reason, just a happy coincidence, and although these two different green foods don't necessarily go together, they both held their own in deliciousness.

First up we used some of my spinach pesto to make a yummy creamy pesto sauce. Just add pesto to a homemade cream sauce (jarred would work too) and you have a delicious creamy pesto perfect for topping your favorite pasta. Check out my pesto recipe here at Tasty Kitchen.


Then we had to use up Emily's zucchini, so today the kids and I made some zucchini bread. I used this recipe, and we all gave it two thumbs up. I've never made zucchini bread before and was very happy with the results. From those two zucchini's Emily gave me I used two cups of grated zucchini for this batch of bread, and grated and froze four more cups for a later baking date. I even had some unused zucchini that I threw away because I was tired of grating. That's a lot of zucchini yield from two zucchinis. They were big zucchinis that's for sure, do you think I could use that word again?




Maybe next time I'll try a zucchini pesto, hmm....

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad you used the zucchini and that the bread was delicious. I have zucchini overflowing on our countertop. I really ought to grate it and freeze it, but it hasn't seemed to climb to the top of my priority list these last few weeks.

Dawn said...

I love zucchini bread and I love pesto sauce. Thanks for sharing!

Tami G. said...

Looks tasty, Nance. Just wanted to let you know that your comment gave me a good chuckle :)

Love ya!