Thursday, August 13, 2009

Food for thought...


Have you ever noticed that beets smell like corn? They do. I know because I cooked some last night, and Hallie was very curious about them and told me that they smelled like corn, and you know what? She was right. Have you ever cooked fresh beets? I hadn't myself until last night, but I've been present when they were cooking before. In fact the whole time they were cooking (which was a while because beets take a long time to cook) I found myself thinking back on my Summers in Canada as a kid at my Grandparents home. My Grandpa and Grandma Redd had a garden, and had many friends who shared their garden bounty with them, and there was always many fresh vegetables to go around when you were at their house. In fact everything eaten at their house tasted so good because it was all fresh, and made with love.

So this morning as I was doing my dishes and reflecting on how much the fresh beets reminded me of my Grandma and Grandpa I began to run through a whole list of food related memories to people I love in my head (haven't you always wondered what I think of while pondering the universe?).

I was remembering a young redheaded Mandy Cannon wearing a swimsuit while eating a half of a ham and cheese on white bread showing up at my front door to see if I could play. I pictured a huge glass jar filled with red hot tamale candy at Stephanie's house. I remembered how it was Subway with Dawn that taught me that I actually liked mustard. And I can't drink a Diet Coke without thinking of the both of them. And it was my roommate Lindsay who taught me that raisins in a salad are actually a good thing. Then there was my sister-in-law Becky who renewed my love of homemade orange julius' and every time I drink one I think of her. I will never forget Taco Bell with Diana Gioia explaining to the guy behind the counter that Allison liked her tacos made a particular way, and having to go back again when he got the order wrong. With Liz and her family I think there are too many food memories to pin it down to just one, but I distinctly remember being at her family's dinner table and having the whole family cheer us on as we had a competition to see who could eat our mashed potatoes the fastest. I lost because I told her mom that I liked gravy on mine, only to find out that I didn't care for her version of gravy. Then there was the time that Liz told me to try a Deviled Egg and then asked my honest opinion about it. I was mortified when she told her mother that I didn't like them.

And speaking of being at another family's dinner table I will never forget sitting at the Cannon's family table enjoying a spaghetti dinner when Betsey was reminding the kids that their Grandparents were coming to town, and that when they were there the kids had better not put their spaghetti on top of their garlic bread like they were doing that night because it was bad manners. And then they broke out into a spirited family round of hip-hip-hooray three times because Mandy had gotten a good grade at school. Whenever I make homemade salsa I think of Courtney because she used to call me almost every time she made it because she wanted to know exactly how to do it again.

I can't go into a mall and smell cinnamon rolls without picturing my Mom rolling a huge batch out onto the counter and methodically cutting the perfect cinnamon rolls to be baked and taken over to the Christmas Cottage. And I can't bite into a slice of cheesecake without thinking of my sister Angela. My own sister Becky will forever be my Indian foodie friend and I think of her and her husband Richard whenever I make curry (which I did by the way two nights ago and loved!). My husband Travis hates curry, but he is the official French Toast maker at our house. And Katie my other sister will always be the queen of Apple pie, even though everything else she makes is delicious too.

Am I alone in these kind of food memories? Are there particular foods tied to the people you love?

P.S. there is a fun new recipe site created by the Pioneer Woman (who I love and adore and would probably stalk if I lived near Oklahoma) called The Tasty Kitchen. It's kind of a little like Facebook with recipes. I've uploaded some of my favorite recipes already and have had many people ask me to be their friend. I'm all about good food and new friends. I get excited about the little things in life.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I am glad you have such fond memories of me and food. And you better believe Laney has received some hip hip hoorays in the potty training days. I don't have a day go by where I am reminded of my youth and the good times we had here.

Angela said...

I totally have food memories. Brian thinks our emotional connection to food is weired, but he's gotten used to it, and think's it's cute now.

Courtney said...

Can you believe I can make salsa on my own now (although I've mostly switched over to Taylor's recipe and have that on my email). Cupcakes make me think of you!

pam said...

Loved going through all of your fond food memories. I have many of them too. I love the fresh vegetables and rhubarb from our little garden mostly because of the food memories I have besides the fact that they taste so much better than the ones from the store. I'll gove you a cheer for cooking beets for your family. I hope they liked them.

pam said...

Loved going through all of your fond food memories. I have many of them too. I love the fresh vegetables and rhubarb from our little garden mostly because of the food memories I have besides the fact that they taste so much better than the ones from the store. I'll gove you a cheer for cooking beets for your family. I hope they liked them.

Steph said...

This was a fun post! Glad your food memories of me are hot tamales and NOT soggy cookies, burnt french fries, disgusting pancakes or kitchens on FIRE!!! Man, my cooking has come a LONG way! Mandy reminded me of that the other day. I might have to think of all my food memories now and document them...one is your lemon love notes. Lynsi made them a couple weeks ago and they were yummy...we thought of YOU when we ate them!!

Heather said...

I just posted my first recipe. How do I find you on there?