Monday, June 8, 2009

Granola: It's a party in your mouth

I don't have a laundry day per se, but somehow I almost always end up doing multiple loads of laundry on Monday. I should do it on Saturday, and always have high aspirations to do so, but the procrastinator and busy mom in me usually puts it off until Monday. So today between loads I decided to add a little excitement to my life (if granola is this exciting it tells you just a little bit about my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way!) by making a batch of my sister Kate's granola. And then I decided, "why should I have all the fun?" And so I'm going to share this simple recipe with you, I hope Katie doesn't mind.


Kate's Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats (much better than quick oats I promise)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 Tbsp. flax seed (I use ground because Dr. Oz says you'll never digest it whole. Katie uses whole. I listen to Dr. Oz. Katie is a maverick with undigested flax seeds floating around her stomach.)
1/4 cup (heaping) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (heaping) canola oil (you could try olive oil)
1/4 cup (heaping) honey
(Do you sense a heaping pattern here? Put a little extra of everything to make it more chewy:)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Add a sprinkle of salt on all the granola before it goes into the oven. I use Kosher.

Directions
In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, almonds and flax seed, set aside. In a saucepan combine brown sugar, oil, honey, and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread on large cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little (I said little here) salt, and bake at 325 for 12-14 minutes. Katie's secret is to let the granola cool in the pan unstirred so that it hardens together, then you'll get big chunks of chewy granola which are great for on the go!

A little vanilla yogurt and frozen blueberries make it fancy, not to mention delicious!

I store the granola in a Ziploc baggie, but buy enough ingredients to make two batches because this won't last long!
Hallie has been waiting like this for quite some time for Dallas to get home from school. I'm not sure, but I think she's got an activity in mind for them upon his return...

5 comments:

pam said...

Hallie.s outfit resembles a pink version of the old ninja turtle get up. But I suppose she is waiting for her brother to take her scootering. I make Katie's granola too and make my own version with the addition of cocoa to the syrup to have chocolate granola.

Shannon said...

I just watched the John and Kate episode tonight and they made granola. I was going to look up recipes tonight, and stopped by your blog first. I can't wait to try this. And if Kate's (your kate) granola is as wonderful as her baby slings then I'm sold (smile).

hendywow said...

Yumm! Cute hallie, we miss you too!

Steph said...

Love Hallie's style!

Can't wait to try that granola!

Toria said...

love homemade granola- we've been using Amanda M's recipe from the new moon mtn ward cookbook. I'll have to try this one.